I added some frags yesterday...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Thanks, guys!

For lighting i did a 'diy' setup w/ a hamilton 175w ballast i bought for $40 on clearance, a PFO socket/reflector and a Hamilton 14k bulb.

Oh, and a $8 ebay snap on fan. ;)

Looks a lil something like THIS:

I've been planning on adding actinic supplementation, but am up in the air right now between:

1x 75w URI VHO setup
2x 24w T5HO Geisseman setup

OR

A mag 7 closed loop SCWD setup

Maybe both...maybe neither. ;)

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
No, the whole 10k 14k 20k thing I've found to not quite be as dramatic as I'd been led to believe (prior to actually seeing people's tanks).

For example, I changed from a (cheap) 20k bulb today back to my hamilton 14k and I really didn't notice much of a difference.

I mean, it was noticeable to me, but probably not to my wife, for instance.

Now, actinic I've witnessed, and it REALLY brings out the fluorescence, like in the zoos, or the anemone. They glow a little under the single bulb, but I really think the cool colors don't show themselves till you have something to bring them out.

So, yeah, I've got enough glowy, crazy colored stuff in there, I'd really like the actinics.

But, on the other side, the external pump setup looks sweet. Modeled after this:

Something like that would definitely help my corals out, as everything i've ever heard says that oscilating current is the best....and with an intake tube of my design the chance of bta getting killed is lowered (and I have two of those now).

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very Very Cool Subliminal.. As stated before your tank is making such wonderful strides. Keep up the AWESOME work.

A Fan

trippkid

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Not positive about this, but I don't think you need the breather at the top, if this is supposed to be a closed loop, it will suck air, pump will chop the bubbles up(kind of like a downdraft skimmer) and blow all through the tank. I would just eliminate the breather at the top(closed), and it should be good. I am planning on either doing that with a Queit One 9000(2400gph) or just modifying two more Maxi-jets. I like the closed loop, just don't know if I want to add more electricity costs(will be upgrading lights to 250 soon). Good luck, and I really like the frags you got(Blue Tort especially, I love mine). What did you get at the frag swap?
Matt

destined_love7

Aquariaholic
Sep 27, 2007
You people are really making it hard for me to wait to start a reef! Grr!

LOL. I have to wait till I move, then of course save and do it little by little. Plus, there is so much for me to learn still. But I love watching the threads here and seeing what you all are doing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store