i cant take the wait any longer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
OK well that could be the answer on the nitrates being zero. Small bioload + several plants can equal zero nitrates. Have you seen any positive tests for ammonia or has it been staying at zero? Still doing daily water changes to keep ammonia down or has it not been necessary based on your water test results?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
OK well that could be the answer on the nitrates being zero. Small bioload + several plants can equal zero nitrates.
This is the key..."what" bioload? Not meaning what as in what fishies but "what" as in virtually nil for this size tank. Time to add another small group of fishies.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
Ok! Finally fully cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20. Turns out I didn't have perfect water. The bacteria must have died on the way to my house (thanks even still dirtydawg, it was real cool of you to try and help). The seeds from my LFS didn't work either. I am guessing I was killing the bacteria during water changes... (probably not though, seeing as it is probably ok to add tap water then prime after a full bacteria cycle is established. it probably is not wise if you are trying to grow your bacterial colony).
Now for how I did it finally. I decided to straight up stop doing water changes/tests on my tanks. I lost one two fish - one per tank. One and a half weeks into my lack of efforts, i noticed only 3 pandas in my 20 gal. Further inspection - body in the bushes. I decided now would be a good time to test, showing 0 ammonia and my nitrites were a deep purple... can't recall the numeral reading. I tell you aside from the loss, finally seeing nitrite action was great. about 4 days later, a cory in my 46g was discovered stuck against my filter's intake. after disposing of the expired fish i conducted my first test in 2 weeks on my arch nemesis - the 46g bowfront. i have to say i was pleasantly pleased to see 0s across the board with about 30 (between 20 and 40) nitrates. I will let both tanks marinate one more night and then after work tomorrow I will do a 50% water change and before bed I will check my results. If the water change doesn't kill the bacteria, I will be trading in these "soldier" fish for the highly anticipated angel.
yeah it sucks i killed 2 fish and inflicted pain on a bunch more, but that's what happened. i tried the "methods" long and true. so you can't say i didnt attempt to do it the "right" way, truth is it got done. thanks again everyone, you know who you are. for anyone who wants a fast cycle and doesn't care - dont do water changes and it cycles fast.

jaysinnva

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Wow, that sucks that you had some losses, but I'm glad to see the tank finally cycled! I've been doing water changes once a week with my fish-in cycle (on week 4), and just had the ammonia "spike" (.25ppm) last weekend, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and ~5 nitrate readings since then. I would tend to agree with your thoughts of not doing frequent water changes. Once a week seems to have worked perfectly on my tank, and the fish have seemed fine throughout the process (normal behavior, eating properly, etc.). Thanks again for keeping this thread going, it has definitely helped quite a bit!

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
Glad to hear you finally got your tanks cycled. It does take some time as you have learned. IMO and as I think you found out katuuuz, going with fishless cycling seems to be the easiest way. No fish get harmed and your tank gets cycled. Sometimes it is tough waiting to add the fish...especially if you're a noob and don't have any others to look at. I know, I tried a fishy cycle my first time too because I couldn't wait but I won't be doing that again.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Glad to hear you finally got your tanks cycled. It does take some time as you have learned. IMO and as I think you found out katuuuz, going with fishless cycling seems to be the easiest way. No fish get harmed and your tank gets cycled. Sometimes it is tough waiting to add the fish...especially if you're a noob and don't have any others to look at. I know, I tried a fishy cycle my first time too because I couldn't wait but I won't be doing that again.

now that you have established tanks.. you won't need to do fishless cycles.

;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store