I have a serious ich problem. Need help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Duragon fish2.jpg

This is blurry, but I can see enough to see that this is strange and looks slightly bigger than Ich, but I can't tell for sure.

It this on the body of the fish, or on the fins only? Do the others look like this? From what you can see.... are the specks the size of a grain of salt, or how would they compare to that; twice as big, three times as big, or smaller?

Duragon fish2.jpg

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
I'd say they are close to a grain of salt, maybe a bit bigger. But what happens is, they start of small, and then they get bigger, almost like they connect. and make 1 big spot. right now I have a molly that had one speck on it, and now it almost looks like a piece of its tail is going to break off (as in the pic below). I haven't seen but 1 or 2 specs on the bodies, its mostly on the fins, and now one of the fins looks like its been chewed off (its mangled looking).

The huge white blob is what it forms into. In the huge white blob, I can see mabye 5 or 6 smaller dots.

fish2.jpg

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I hate to suggest it, but could you possibly scoop her out and get some better photos. I have used a glass 4 cup pyrex measuring cup, held under the surface, while gently directing a fish into it using the dip net to kind of move it toward the glass cup.

It can be pretty stress free, the glass kinda disappears so they don't see it, usually.

The way you describe it sounds like finrot, or some kind of bacterial process going on. Finrot can have a bubble/blister-like lesion on the fin, but usually not tons of them all over the fins and on every fish in the tank.

Another thing, that they have the specks on their bodies as well as their fins definitely seems to be a parasite.

If the specks were more like little puffs of cotton instead of salt-like specks, one might lean towards bacterial infection, specifically Columnaris. Do you see any cottony type of lesions on the fish?

In the photo, that blurry fuzzy area on the fin looks a bit like Columnaris, but it's too blurry to see for sure.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I agree with The V that Quick Cure usually works on Ich.

You really need to be able to get a reading on your parameters. Tomorrow try to get a good liquid test kit. The API Master kit is really good, very accurate, will cost less in the long run, and you will be able to know on a daily basis what your parameters are.

You have to know if there are dectectable levels of ammonia, nitrite, and that the nitrate is in the safe range. Your parameters need to be: ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrate at 20ppm or thereabouts. It's good to know your ph as well.
GH and KH are good to know, but those are separate tests and not included in the API master kit.

I can't stress how important it is to have the equipment to monitor your parameters closely, especially when there are problems in the tank.

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
I tried getting then in a glass, but the pictures didnt come out, you could not see the specks once I placed them in the glass. I check the pH and its a 7.6, the ammonia is at 0ppm. I dont have a kit for nitrite or nitrate, but I will get one tomorrow.

I would say the specks on the 1 molly with a lot of dots look more like salt, where as the specks on the other molly is more cotton like...

How do I treat finrot or columnaris?

Sorry I cannot be more helpful... its really hard to describe what im seeing, and the fishes wont stay still long enough for me to get a good picture...

Note: I am still not using the carbon in the filter as I am still applying quick cure. Tomorrow I was going to switch to adding salt to the water. Should I add the carbon back to the filter? Should I add the salt still?

Edit: Also, it seems to only be affecting the Mollies. I have seen a few specks on the other fish, but they disappear in a day or two. In recent hours one of the mollies has become very pale, and its got a very white cracked looking head now...

Thanks.

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
And after looking for a bit, Id say 1 mollie is salt, the other is cotton, also the dots seems to group together, 4 or 5 in 1 close area.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I hope we can be sure what's going on before we treat.

You could have several things going on. Ich or another parasite, and possibly a bacterial infection, perhaps Columnaris.

Columnaris is caused by the bacterium Flavobacterium columnare, and it can present with cottony tufts, filmy areas, dull flat patches, redness around the mouth with erosion of the mouth.

Aeromonas bacterial infection often accompanies Columnaris infections, with red splotches or streaks in the body and fins, ulcers can develop.

High temperatures are bad when there's an infection, as bacteria love tempertures above 76 degrees, yet elevating temperature helps when treating Ich as it speeds up the life cycle of the Ich protozoan so it reaches the vulnerable free swimming stage more quickly.

How long have you been treating for Ich with the Quick Cure?

duragon

AC Members
Jan 16, 2010
Ive been using the quick cure for 7 days now... and I only see more spots developing, every day, some disappear, some new appear. Like I said, it looks like its really only affecting the mollies... the 2 guppies are fine, 1 of 3 glofish had a spot on its tail for about a day, but has since lost it and not developed any others. The 2 platys(ies?) seem to be doing fine. Even the plecostomus is fine. all the fish are acting normal, except for the mollies which are lethargic, but they both still eat well and are always waiting for their meal... I am almost wondering if I should stop treating them and see what happens...

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Do you have a tank or container you could use as a hospital/quarantine tank for the Mollies? You can use a small sterilite container, or other clean, never been used container, a heater, a small filter.

Since the other fish are getting better and don't appear to have the cottony lesions, it sure would be good if you could get the two sick girls out of there and into quarantine.

If it becomes clear that the Mollies need antibiotics, and it sounds like a possibility, it would be better to treat them separately, if the others are not showing signs of bacterial infection.

I think I'd slowly bring the temperature in the 16 gallon down to 76 or so, over the next few days.

What has been your water change schedule, before the illness and during the treatment of Ich?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store