I have Indian Mudskippers!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
nice skippers! the fifth one up is really funny!
Thanks! Yeah, I think that pic is funny too. It's like at that moment they thought it was the only rock in the tank!

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. I really enjoy having them and they're fun to share.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Wow, cute skippers! What salinity do you keep them at?
I keep it on the low end, 1.005 to 1.006ish. I don't measure it too precisely and allow it to fluctuate a little with each water change since they would be used to that in nature with the influxes of ocean water that come in. I will gradually bring the salinity up higher to maybe around 1.008, but they were in freshwater when I got them so I'm easing them in.

DanielleRae

AC Members
Feb 2, 2011
OMG!!!!! Midskippers are my favorite thing in the world!!!! Like I would forefit any object I own for some!!!

YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!

Are they hard to keep??
What do they eat.... do they need a lot of sand to digg little holes??? etc... n stuff!!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
cool. do you know what the difference between blue spots and the other ones are? thanks.
I don't think I understand your question. Are you asking what the difference is in my pictures, where some have little blue spots and some don't? If that's what you mean, there is no difference. They all have those little spots, and the lighting in certain pictures I take shows off those spots more than in some other pictures. They're all the same.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
OMG!!!!! Midskippers are my favorite thing in the world!!!! Like I would forefit any object I own for some!!!

YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!

Are they hard to keep??
What do they eat.... do they need a lot of sand to digg little holes??? etc... n stuff!!
Thank you :) I'm very happy with them. I mix pool filter sand, refugium mud, and a little crushed coral to create the bank. I put pvc pipes in it to make "starter" holes for them. In nature they do dig burrows. My hope is that I can get them to replicate that behavior in captivity, but so far, no luck. I've only had them for a month.
No they're not hard to care for at all really. They just need a little marine salt with each water change to keep the water brackish and it's very important to keep the water and air temperature around 80. Aside from that they aren't too sensitive to water conditions, but I do large weekly water changes since they're messy eaters. They love frozen blood worms, live black works, and moistened earthworm flake. If you want to know more, look through the brackish section at the other mudskipper threads that are going. I've posted a lot of info and so have a lot of others. We loooove to talk about them! So if you have anymore questions, just ask!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
i mean that in stores that they label them indian or indian blue spot.
Oh I see. I've never found them in stores so I don't know. Every store could market them differently. Mine were just titled "indian mudskipper" online with the scientific name Periopthalmus novemradiatus. If I found any locally, I'd want to be sure what they were, so I'd probably ask if they have the scientific name from their distributor's list.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store