I have Indian Mudskippers!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Awsome awsome tank setup! And those mudskippers are just too cute!!!
You did such a great job setting that up, I love the waterfall effect. I read somewhere on this thread that the filter is behind that, did I remember that correctly? Do you have their tank covered, can they escape?
I was thinking also of starting up a new tank in a few months, going to look into these little guys they're great!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Your tank is so amazing! Your tank/skippers made me change my mind about what I was going to do with one of my tanks, now it's goign to be a mudskipper tank! Thank you!
Thank you for the wonderful compliments! I think you'd be very happy with a mudskipper tank!

Awsome awsome tank setup! And those mudskippers are just too cute!!!
You did such a great job setting that up, I love the waterfall effect. I read somewhere on this thread that the filter is behind that, did I remember that correctly? Do you have their tank covered, can they escape?
I was thinking also of starting up a new tank in a few months, going to look into these little guys they're great!
Thanks so much! Yes, the waterfall is a whisper internal filter suctioned to the glass, that I carefully piled limestone around. I took a lot of care in using wide pieces of rock so it is very stable. It wouldn't be a bad idea to silicone those pieces together so they'll be easier to take out and put back in as a group, but I haven't done that yet. It's not the best filter out there, but for my purposes and the amount of water in my setup, it works great. I may add another one sometime. I also keep up on my water changes.
I did pick up plastic window screen from the hardware store and put that along the back of the glass lid to cover gaps but allow ventilation.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
More pictures! One of the skippers was checking out a burrow I created out of pvc piping. I did add some more substrate to the bank area. The nerite snails have learned when it's feeding time and they now come up onto the rocks to help the mudskippers clean up. I'm finding that the ghost shrimp and nerite snails are great for cleaning up excess food.
skippers (4).JPGskipper in burrow (3).JPGskippers (5).JPGskippers (2).JPGskippers (6).JPGskipper pile.JPGskippers.JPGskippers and nerites.JPGskipper and nerite.JPGskipper with nerite.JPG

skipper with nerite.JPG skipper and nerite.JPG skippers and nerites.JPG skippers.JPG skipper pile.JPG skippers (6).JPG skippers (2).JPG skippers (5).JPG skipper in burrow (3).JPG skippers (4).JPG

Piranha86

AC Members
Dec 26, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Real Name
Will
That would be so cool if you could breed them! I had seen/heard vague reports of people breeding them in large tanks with holes for them.

Subscribing to this thread!

What kind of camera are you using? The pictures are amazing.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Yes, I would be incredibly excited to have them breed! I too have read a few believed cases of them spawning, although it's really a longshot without the tides and stuff they have in nature. I did my best to make it as natural as I possibly can, and they seem to be quite happy.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics, I have Sony DSLR - A230. I don't really know how to work it that well, but it's doing alright for me.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
Is that the dorsal fin I see sticking up in the first picture? Very colorful! I think that, if Jim Henson kept fish, he must have kept these. They look like little Muppets. :)

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Funny, they do look like little muppets! I didn't notice that before.
They do have pretty dorsal fins. Some are orangish-red and others are more brownish-mauve, but they're all very cool. They like to flare their fins at each other but never actually fight.

findabhair19

Registered Member
Feb 24, 2011
Canada
I now have 3 of these little guys and am just curious how often and how much do you usually feed them, mine will only eat crickets and meal worms from hand, i have been unsuccessful at getting them to eat anything that was frozen or laid on the ground. Any help would be great. I love your set up, it is amazing, my boyfriend and i are looking at getting a larger set up then we have this summer.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I now have 3 of these little guys and am just curious how often and how much do you usually feed them, mine will only eat crickets and meal worms from hand, i have been unsuccessful at getting them to eat anything that was frozen or laid on the ground. Any help would be great. I love your set up, it is amazing, my boyfriend and i are looking at getting a larger set up then we have this summer.
Thanks for the compliment on my tank! I did rearrange it a bit recently to allow more places for them to get out of the water. I will have a few new pictures posted later today or tomorrow probably.

I feed mine once (occassionally twice) daily but I spread the food out in small piles throughout the aquarium, near - but not in water. I've read that crickets and mealworms are not good for them. They would not encounter these in their natural habitat and mudskippers, like other gobies, are susceptible to digestive problems so try to switch their food as soon as you can. In the mean time, I'd definitely stop the mealworms asap, and feed very small crickets (maybe even removing the back legs). This may prevent a long death due to constipation. Mine really like earthworm flake, and I wet it so it's more like a paste. I also feed them live blackworms a few times a week or thawed clams, bloodworms, mysis or brine shimp from the freezer. I have mine so they will eat off of a spoon, or from the piles I put on rocks near water. I've never had issues getting them to eat, but I do have to make enough small piles so one of the bigger ones can't hog all the food.
Since it's really important to get your skippers eating something better for them, I'd recommend withdrawing food for one day, even a few days, to get them hungry so they will take other food easily. It wouldn't hurt them to fast a few days to clear out their bodies of what food is in there.
I'm glad to hear you're upgrading their tank! They're so much fun to watch, the more room they have, the more entertaining it is to watch them hop around. Good luck with your little guys! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'll help as much as I can, and other people on here are knowledgeable too. I've only had mine a couple months, so I'm going off of a little bit of experience and a whole lot of research.

Oh- I should also add that I add a bit of spirulina flake in with their earthworm flake sometimes or sneak it in with the frozen foods. I little bit of algae/veggie here and there is good for them.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store