I just bought a new betta and i am not sure if something is wrong.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
You realize you'll have to clean the water 100% every couple of days with that and you can't let the temperature move around right? You should have at least a themometer - bettas can't take a temperature change more than a few degrees up or down. They do best at a steady temperature between 74-82.

its one of those Kritter keepers.I only had enough to buy him and the tank. he was so cool i just had to get him.
Impulse buying animals is not a good idea. If those are like those small world containers that's not enough water. I have one of those and I use it to keep aquarium supplies in.

Last edited:

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
Thank you kikuchiyo although I already knew all that. I have had bettas before.and I bought 2 of the tanks that way I could have the same temperature water when I change his water. I did do my research. I appreciate your concern.

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I believe those Kritter Keepers are a gallon (yes?), so it should work as a home for your betta for the time being, but as funds allow (I understand not having the money to always get everything you need for fish, so I am by no means picking on you :) ) you might want to purchase an Eclipse Explorer II (make sure it says "II" in the name as this one comes with a light, and the one without the "II" doesn't). you can find these tanks at Thatfishplace.com and Bigalsonline.com, I believe, and they make an excellent tank for a betta. They should be under $30. Just an idea. :)

With your current set up, a 75% water change -at least- every other day you should be fine. Also, I'd fill the tank with a bit more water. This will give your betta more area to swim in, and the tank isn't high enough for there to be an issue with the betta getting air from the surface.

Also if I may suggest for decorating, adding some more gravel (I'd go with a natural colour that's a medium to dark shade - like what's in there now), some java moss (my betta loves this stuff and it's fairly cheap!), and maybe a small cave for your little guy to hide in, he should be a happy camper.

Best of luck. I hope Kai has a very happy life with you!

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
brookelyn- you read my mind. that tank is only for the time being until I can get more money. I had planned on getting the Eclipse Explorer II once I got the money. I am going to buy some more gravel but, I was wondering if I could put marbles instead.I will fill the tank with more water tommorrow, when I do his water change. I know he is happier with me because, #1 he is not cooped up in that little plastic cup the store had him in(you should have seen how nasty the water looked),#2 He swims around alot, #3 he is eating really good better than I thought he would.I am sure that he will be happier once I get more money to buy him a better tank.

Sometimes I wish my fish could talk to me. :D

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I think the kritter keeper is a wonderful home for a betta -- even a permanent home... if it's the same sized kritter keeper that I used to have, then it's just under 1 gallon of water. Plenty big for a betta to have, tons of room to move around, and with stable temps and clean water, the betta will live a long healthy life (mine lived for almost 3 years!!)

You could definately use marbles, btw, for substrate... I think that's a cool look on a small tank, and makes vaccuming much easier!!

~Tara

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
Hey dwayne- that is what i was thinking, its easier to clean and looks way cooler.

Yes, it is just below 1 gallon. He seems happy with it. I will get him something bigger when I get the chance to.Till then I am sure he can make do with what he's got.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
The way I look at it, bigger is better for any fish. But being that betta fish have this bad rep of being able to live in a freaking dixie cup, I think anyone who buys a betta and gives him a home -- even a 1 gallon home -- is doing that betta a great service.

If someone gave me the option of 1 betta in a 5-gallon tank, or 5 bettas in 1-gallon tanks (or bowls, or kritter keepers), I'd pick the 5 bettas any day of the week.

What betta wouldn't be wildly happy in a nice clean 1 gallon bowl with someone who cleaned his water every few days, gave him a nice variety of food, and just generally cared for him???

Let's see:
Crud filled dixie cup -or- 1 gallon kritter keeper maybe with some plants?

I'll take the 1-gallon bowl!

edit: don't mind the red party cup -- that's behind his bowl, there is not another fish in there :D it's my beer!

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
well he has an anacrus(not sure if spelled right). And he is getting his water changed tommorrow.I would also have to choose the 5 bettas.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store