I just bought a new betta and i am not sure if something is wrong.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kikuchiyo

Shogun
May 9, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Meh, I personally don't think 1 gallon of water is enough for one betta. Mine uses every inch of his 2 gallon and I think 5 is probably more appopriate. Bettas are the size fish the one inch rule was made for and they are at least 2".

As far as ammonia build up is concerned, it's your own business if you can water change every day or two, but I certainly can't keep up that pace. Bettas put out a lot of ammonia and it will quickly toxify the water.

1 gallon of water quickly changes temperature based on the ambient temp, and everything from windows to sunlight to A/Cs can effect that.

No reason to be snide with me, Rockin_Sunset, I offered you advice from my own reading, studies (bio major), and experince. From what I know by reading, of biology and aquaria, and experience tell me that 1 gallon isn't enough.

It's good that you'll move him to a bigger tank. As long as you keep up with water changes and keep the temp steady he'll be fine, but it won't be easy in such a small place.

Last edited:

Rockin_Sunset

Betta Lover
Jun 12, 2004
florida/california
Visit site
I did not mean to be rude. Surely you will forgive me. I am going to get my allowance in 2 days so I can get a better tank and all the things I need to care for him. As I have mentioned many times before The kritterkeeper is just temporary.

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Having kept my own betta in something far smaller than a gallon (was waiting for his new tank to arrive), a one gallon home is just fine if 1). It's temporary. 2). You're -very- dedicated to cleaning the water every day, to every other day. 3). You have a breeding setup with a drip system. If not, get a two gallon tank with a filter and light. In the end, it will be a better deal, and much easier on you and your fish.

Personally, if you wanted more bettas (as you and dwayne were mentioning) picking up a ten gallon aquarium kit (usually this includes a light hood, filter and heater), and dividing it into four, two gallon sections would be the way to go. It wouldn't allow for five bettas, but you could fit four without a problem.

You could use marbles, however, that will total out to be more expensive once you get a two gallon tank, than a simple five pound bag of gravel (which is usually around $4) would be. Mind you, whether gravel, or marbles both would work, though the marbles (which tend to be much larger) do tend to be easier to lose food and such under than plain ole' gravel.

I am sure no one meant to be rude to anyone here. We all have what we believe to be the best method to care for our fish based on our own experiences. I believe both kikuchiyo and I don't go about recommending smaller containers (anything under two gallons) because for beginners, it's far too easy to do something as simple as forget to change the tank's/bowl's water and have serious issues on your hands. Plus the more water a tank holds, the more forgiving it is to mistakes in general.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store