I need Help!!!!! Discus Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Don't beat yourself up. You were johnny-on-the-spot and did what you could, including seeking help here. I'm so sorry you lost one of your pals. I just lost my female honey gourami that I had raised from little more than a fry, and I know how much it hurts. I'm glad the others seem to be doing all right.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I am SOrry for your Loss Snoop's, I know it hurts. Try not to beat yourself up. You are a super keeper!!!!

Arkangel77

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Thanks guys. I am watching this one discus, hoping it pulls through. It color isn't right and it has itself wedged up against the aquarium wall, so I don't know. On the one hand, it is good that it has itself where it can stay upright, on the other, it may just be prolonging it's suffering. I have good aeration with a powerhead in there right now and tomorrow once they have had a bit of time without too much stress. I will get a bigger air pump going with a large 18" airstone set in the middle back of the tank.

Thinking about it, the water changes is probably what saved the majority of the fish though. I always off gas against the back of the tank above the water line, so the extra O2 it was putting into the tank due to agitation kept it from being completely depleted. I also thought about when I moved that giant val out, I took out a major O2 provider. I had no problems before that with O2 depletion. So for those of you who have planted tanks......If you remove a large amount of plants, supplement with aeration.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Well the one that is in distress is still with me. It stays in the corner, hiding in the sword leaves most of the time, breathing normal but with very light coloring and very dark stress bars. Every once in a while it will come out and swims around the sword but never goes far. Everyone else is back to normal. The other 5 discus are eating well and back to schooling and foraging. All of their colors are vivid - thank goodness. I am target feeding the one in the corner and have seen it eat a bloodworm. Hopefully a in a couple days it will be ok. I thought about QT but figure it will stress it more than it already has been and no one seems to bother it where it is.

Do you guys think it would help or hurt if I add a bit of salt to the tank?

Discus-Hans

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
Snoopy, keep the surface of the water moving, it looks to me as an short Oxi.

Honey listen, how many times did you change your tank now since they arrived? leave them for a while, I know it's hard to keep your hands out of the tank if you're so devoted as you are.
But do your water changes, feed them and that's it for a while, believe me, Discus don't like all that stress.

Hans.

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Great news this morning....The one that was hiding is out front and center wanting to be fed! I put in bits and it is eating with everyone else. Fins erect, schooling, color back to normal!!! Yeah!!!!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Great news this morning....The one that was hiding is out front and center wanting to be fed! I put in bits and it is eating with everyone else. Fins erect, schooling, color back to normal!!! Yeah!!!!
WAHOO :y220e: :y220e: :y220e: :y220e: :y220e:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!! :D

GRATZZZZZ:naughty::naughty::naughty:

ps - did ya read my old thread about my Briliant blue - looks like we both had good news hu!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store