I think I just bought a SW tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guppy1

Aquaria Central Supporter! Are You?
Mar 11, 2005
New York
that is a nice looking tank, good luck with it i cant wait to see it all set up and running, be sure to post lots of pics!!!! (something i try to keep up on,lol)
shane

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
On the topic of powerheads, I have two AquaClear 201 powerheads which are rated at 126gph. I was using them in my FW 55g. Do you think two of these plus the filter/skimmer would be a good start?

Also, these powerheads didn't come with any kind of mounting..item. They've just been sitting on the tubes for a UGF. I'm thinking suction cups might be the way to go for mounting them?

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
ya that would probably be the way to go... just make sure you don't use the airline... otherwise you'll have millions of microbubbles...

but ya, i checked out that link to your filter/skimmer combo, and it might actually be a good thing. I haven't heard of those but they look good! Did it come with the pump to run it?? if it came with the right one, you already have a ton of flow with that pump, so those 2 extra powerheads might be a perfect amount of flow for your tank

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Yep, it already has the pump in there. I'm off to the LFS to pick up something to mount the powerheads with, some more sand (argonite, yes?), salt mix, a test kit and probably a hydrometer (I'll upgrade to a refractometer when I have the funds).

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Oh! I have this stuff called "Mexican rock" I got a while ago and used it with cichlids and tropicals without issue. Do you think it could be used as additional base rock?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Cant really comment on the mexican rock, never seen it personaly..The cloudyness will clear, keep washing out the filter media, it does take a little time to settle down..

Niko

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Hur, yeah. Filter's not running. On the agenda for tomorrow is finding a power strip and extension cord that both accept 3-pronged plugs. AND finding some suction cups for my other powerheads.

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
i think the mexican rock could work if its what im imagining it is.. kinda shelf-like? you could make some really cool caves and shelves with it if its what im thinking it is... as long as it hasn't been in a tank treated with anything bad.. im sure it would probably be ok to use..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store