I think I just bought a SW tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
So far so good. I bought an additional piece of live rock, got the filter going, etc. The filter actually provides a lot of flow. I think if I have one additional powerhead in the right hand back corner of the tank angled down toward the rocks I should be good.

I think I have SOMETHING alive in there. When I got home this afternoon I found some clear stringy-stuff floating in the tank. I've been reading corals will put this stuff out under stress? I don't see anything coral-y growing, though. Filter cleared it all up in short order.

Also, should I be dosing the tank with anything? Calcium, iodine?

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Okay, how about calcium? I probably should have picked up a calcium test kit, too...

Now it's normal to sit in front of your tank and look for signs of life, right? I saw my first little 'pod' sauntering over the rocks last night and I was thrilled! There is LIFE!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Yeah, that's pretty normal. I spend AT LEAST an hour a day in front of the tank, and have since the day I set it up. Even if I don't have time...I make time.

Unless, of course, I'm on vacation...then I spend at least an hour a day worrying about the tank.

You don't really need any test kits beyond the standard right yet. pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, SG are the big things you're going to check for right now.

A RO/DI unit would be a wise investment, though.

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
I've been looking into those..something else I'm going to save my pennies for. After I move I might be able to get my housemates to pitch in a bit. "But guys, it'll make the well-water taste great!"

I'm going to go crack open my shiny new test kit and see where we're at.

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Okay, today we have:
Temperature: 77.2
SG: 1.022
pH: 7.9 (best guess, it was between colors!)
Ammonia: 0
NitrAtes: 20
NitrItes: 0

Any thoughts? Is now a good time to add the dead shrimp? I honestly wasn't sure because all the water is new, but the filter and some of the rock were in the tank running as recently as Sunday, and were kept moist the whole time between. I wasn't sure if it needed a full cycle or not.

Also, what is the best way to dispose of the apparently highly deadly test tube water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store