I think I just bought some *very* expensive feeders...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
I see. Your grandparents must have a heck of an office! What are they planning on putting in that tank?

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Well, they asked me to set up the tank for them...

It was built by Acrylic Tank Manufacturing in Las Vegas, and it's either been shipped or is being shipped early this week. Either way, it's supposed to be here by Friday.

IIRC (I planned this in August/September of last year, so I don't remember a lot of this very well), it's got 2 OceanClear filter setups, with 2 40ft^2 particulate filters, 2 bio filters, and 2 carbon filters, each with pumps flowing something like 1000GPH. It's set up with 2 intakes in the center rear of the tank, and 2 outflows- one on either side. I specified that setup because it should minimize the amount of detritus that's visible to people looking at the tank. It's got 1 or 2 UVs on it, a 2000w fireplug heater, the lighting is something like 800 or 1000w of compact fluorescent, and the substrate is 2-4"of Fluorite.

I may be off on some of those numbers; I don't honestly remember the exact specs any more. I may have gone for more like 500w of light after discussing it with my dad. I'll have to see when it gets here.

Basically, I can put whatever I want in it. It'll have live plants (as if the lighting and the fluorite didn't imply that... ;)) and fish are still kind of up in the air. There are a bunch of species I'd like to put in there, but being that I won't be there all the time to keep an eye on it, it's going to have to be set up a bit more conventionally than my tank.

Just in terms of the species I'd like to keep (I'm not planning on mixing them all, though):

Very large school(s) of:
-Tiger barbs
-Checkered barbs
-Giant danios
-Zebra/leopard danios
-Harlequin Rasboras
-Scissortails
-Congo Tetras
-Pictus cats
-Port cats

Larger and/or non-schooling fish:
-Discus
-Angels
-Blue Gouramis
-Lace Gouramis
-Synodontis angelicus cats
-Various species of the more agressive big cichlids
-Bala sharks
-Tinfoil barbs
-Rams
-Kribensis
-Just about any other Cichlid that I haven't mentioned either directly or indirectly already, that's not one of the African lake cichlids that want hard, basic water (I like cichlids- they've got more personality than any other group of fish I've seen, with the exeption of some of the Anabantids)
-the Arowana

Obviously, a lot of those are not going to get along very well, so I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet.

Last edited:

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
It would be very hard to choose. I'm about as decisive as a hummingbird, so these things always prove difficult for me. ;)

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Geeky1, :eek: That's a lot of fish for even a 25 gallon tank. The "general rule" of 1 inch of fish per gallon is overused and not accurate. The acurate rule is based upon weight of the fish in relation to surface area. Even this dosen't take into account the territories cichlids may set up, or the swimming room those rainbows need.
Not only that, but you're not considering how big these fishes get. You must put them in a tank that is big enough to house that many fully grown adults. The silver arowana can get up to 18" alone, and that would warrant at least a 75, at absolute minimum.
I can't even imagine that combination of fish in a 10 gallon. Also, you will have problems, maybe you haven't yet, but you will, unless you upgrade. Although, heavy filtration and water changes will help greatly.

;) Ryan

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
not to pick arguments but I think he mentioned it was he only keeps fish for months at a time as he trades or sells them when they are getting bigger than his tank can house or he gets bored.

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Originally posted by johnnyxxl
not to pick arguments but I think he mentioned it was he only keeps fish for months at a time as he trades or sells them when they are getting bigger than his tank can house or he gets bored.
Exactly. I don't keep fish just because they're pretty, I also keep them for the experience of keeping them. So, when I've had them for a few months, I'll sell them back to the pet store and try something that I haven't kept before.

ash

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
Visit site
yeah, it's not something I would probably recommend but it's not that bad. I think though if you just sold the arowana rather than putting it in your grandparent's tank that would allow you much more flexability for that tank.

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Ok, for temporary quarters it might not be so bad...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store