I'm going to set it back up again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
How about cherry barbs for mid-level? I just got 6 yesterday and I am loving them. Very pretty and active, and peaceful, unlike tiger barbs.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Okay, so, you will NEED a pair of German Blue Ram, otherwise the tank will never work :)

But really, with the stocking you have I would do:

25 MALE guppies (unless you want a tank filled with trillions of tiny ugly guppies you can't get rid of).
15 Hatchets (tight fitting hood recommended!)
20 Neon Rainbowfish (Very pretty, 3in long tops, awesome in larger numbers)
2 BN Plecos (a pair would do best, plus possible breeding and selling = profit!)
2 German Blue Rams (same as BN Plecos)
7 Flame Dwarf Gouramis (one of the few that do better in groups then alone, provided more females then males)
25 Neon Tetras (great mid-level fish for the beginner and the experienced alike!)
10-15 Penguin Tetras (larger mid-level fish, very vivid coloration!)
5 Otos (to control algae and look cute doing it!)

I do believe that stocking remains under the 3in max rule and that it would work, though tweaking may be needed to lower total stocking or level stocking. I would also have corys in there, at least 20 of them, but you (for some reason) don't like them (SHUN THE NON-BELIEVER!) so I left them off.

Good luck with your new tank!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Let's see,

Hatchets and any other translucent fish are out.. (Wife says ewww!!!).

I kind of planned on a few oto's depending upon how well the 3-4 BN pleco's did. In my experience BN do a pretty amazing job by themselves and I don't want to have hungry little oto's if I overstock the algae grazers. Oto's without a fat little belly are just sad.

The guppies I was going to purchase a half dozen females and a couple of males. As long as you attempt to manage the selection pressure appropriately they will still look good for many generations. If they start to look too ugly it's pretty quick shift the population with little selection pressure. If you know a little about breeding it's not too hard to do.

If I can find the pearl Danio's I might do a mixture of them a some long finned Zebras.

Ram's might be an interesting addition as they are a very nice looking fish. I just wonder if they will not be too skittish around the roseline sharks and danios.

I've been really thinking about getting some rainbows. My wife says they are ugly fish but I'm going to veto her on this one. She went out shopping with her sister and came back with some "things" she has to have. I temporarily have the advantage in the relationship and I plan to use it ruthlessly.;)

To be honest the guppies really don't fit into the rest of the stocking very well. Maybe I can talk my wife out of that for now. I might go purchase that 45 gallon corner tank and do guppies in there. ... Endlers might work in the big tank though..

It looks like one of my 10 gallon tanks is ready for some plants and fish this morning. Maybe I'll stop by the petstore with my boys tonight. There is a nice restaruant not far away.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
blue rams and danios mixed well in my 30g. Wouldn't think it would be any different in far larger setup.

And to be honest too I absolutely would demolish the guppy idea with this tank idea, if it were my own. No way I would "waste" precious space like that ;)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
nice;) +1^
guppies seem to newbie 2 me;)

nice that ur setting up again;)

good luck!:)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Don't be putting down the mighty Guppy. There is no other species so well adapted to the aquarium trade: Highly prolific, maleable genetics, tolerant of substandard conditions, and omivorous. They are so broadly adapted I'm tempted to toss the culls into my neighbors pool that he is not maintaining as mosquito control.

I'm just thinking of the asthetics of the tank need a more streamlined looking fish. Maybe the shorter finned ones (non-fancy) will look better.

I personally adore goldfish remember... single tailed ones that is. I guess I'm a newbie after only 20 years of keeping fish. ;)

I'm quite pleases that the Roseline sharks and BN pleco I picked up are doing well. No sign of disease yet so I may just toss them into the big tank when I get it up. I've got a lot of fish to get and QT. My wife is planning on having a ton of people over to out house for Christmas and she want's it to look "Good".

So where's the best place to pick up 20 or so swords and crypts? I may do a few stem plants but not until after I upgrade the lights to LED. I'll be running 160W of Florescent over the tank in the mean-time. In my past experience swords do exceptionally well under this setup.

I'm thinking of doing a mixed substrate. A base layer of one of the dark aquarium plant mixes with some ferts sprinkled in. A secondary layer of builders sand with some of the gravel that I used for my goldfish across the top. I've done this in smaller tanks and have had excellent results. The sand is very good and holding plants into the substrate and the gravel keeps roots from poking out of the sand. It also prevents the fish and MTS from digging out the plant's roots and hides the waste products.

Dburgess1231

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
NORTHERN OHIO
with that big of a tank i would have done a school of angels and some cardinals. BN plecos are very well behaved in a planted tank. they are what most people use in planted tanks. make sure you have driftwood though, that is a must for these guys to not only chill on but is part of their diet as well.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You know angels like cory's are just not my thing. I've just never been that big of a fan. Besides they get too big for what I am looking for. Discus however if they weren't soo much work and expensive would definitely an option.

I can not tell a lie. I chopped down the cherry tree. I have a chunk of it for my tank. It's dried out by now so I'll have to weight it down for a while.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Rams can be quite spunky. When I still had 2 they were the bravest fish in the tank, not even my hands scared them off! Okay, maybe at first, but they got used to me really fast.

Hatchets aren't translucent, they can come in silver, brown or Marthae http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+883

But if it's a no it's a no... guppies can be pretty translucent at times. If you really don't want them (and since they do sorta ruin a naturalistic tank) you could do the 40gal tank instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store