Increased water evaporation!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
My 350+ pond is losing about 50% of water everyday since the weather became cold. If the filter is running, the pond then loses about 75% of water in the course of 24 hours? What could be causing this? I can see no visible sign of damage. It was the same story last year when the water got cold, but during the summer…nothing. Does water truly evaporate at an increased rate in cold weather? Or is there something truly wrong here, a phenomenon perhaps?

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
What is the water temperature when you have water loss vs when you do not have water loss? What type of pond do you have - PVC liner? Cement? Water fall? What type of pump? What type of filter? Pix?

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
My 350+ pond is losing about 50% of water everyday since the weather became cold. If the filter is running, the pond then loses about 75% of water in the course of 24 hours? What could be causing this? I can see no visible sign of damage. It was the same story last year when the water got cold, but during the summer…nothing. Does water truly evaporate at an increased rate in cold weather? Or is there something truly wrong here, a phenomenon perhaps?
No way evaporation would remove half your water in a day. Sounds like a hole in a liner, or a hose or fitting leak. Do you have an external bio-filter, or a hose running up to a spitter or waterfall?

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
It’s a hard plastic that of material in the shape of an eight. As for filter, I have been using a pond mater 2000. I also have a 700 UVC pressure-flo high performance system which I was planning on installing as soon as I pick up a pump.

I don’t think it’s a hole in the pond because when the water reaches a certain level, it does not drop anymore, or at the very lest not as rapidly. Two days ago I filed it up to the top, and yesterday the water level dropped to about 45% remaining (just a little bit past the halfway mark). Today, the water level remained the same and has not gone down any further. Oh and it’s colder today then it has been anytime before I notices this. The temperature is at 32 F (it snowed today in the morning, and rained the rest of the day which increased the level slightly). I will not fill it back up tonight so I can see if it will go down any lower tomorrow.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
might I suggest, that since the ground is freezing, or unfreezing, in certain places, that the expansion, and deflation, is causing a fitting some where to not work? It seems the only logical thing, since its happening only at certain times..This happens to my dads, pond,. when the ground freezes , it expands, and pushes on the large plastic tub, and his top pond barrel, it causes just enough movement, that some of the water drains, ..

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
As the Judge said - it is the only logical explanation other than a flying elephant coming and drinking your pond water at night.

Desertponder

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Western Colorado
Well, it certainly sounds like you have a leak but if you say this happens every year and not during the summer? That is very odd. I guess it could be an expansion issue but it shouldn't be that much.
Where is your pond? Is it open to wildlife? Could something be coming in at night and drinking the water??
I still think you have a leak somewhere though.

hotpod

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Norman Oklahoma
actually my pond has been doing the same exact thing...everyday about 50% water just gone! however i asked my dad who is a ceo of electric coop...and he told me something neat about that....here is what he told me about where my water was going. he got this info from a nursey that was thinking of switching power to my dads company........ they were really worried about electric cutoffs and not having water to the plants during winter...so they asked a lot of questions about...what can they do to keep water moving in the winter but not really summer...and he asked why they needed it so bad. they explained that when the humidity and temp drops, evaporation increases by 50 to 100%....espeically during times of high wind speeds....the winter months are the most critical to have electricity for water pumps becuase the add over twice the amount of water in the winter than summer months becuase or evaporation alone...so all of their plants would die in ONE day! isnt that crazy? if they had to go without fresh water for 24 hours....i thought that was soo cool....so high wind speeds, low humidity, and lower temperatures cause evaporation levels rise at unbelievable rates!!!!!!!!!! so there ya go. sorry for the story but i thought it was cool that a random nursey was the answer to my fish pond problems

FishyFry

Feeds low on the food chain
Apr 7, 2007
Michigan
www.pandk.org
Nice post hotpod. I have an indoor pond and have noticed the same increase in evaporation due to both lower humidity and temperature. In this case, however, the period of time is one week, rather than one day. Obviously, I do not have to worry about the air temps becoming so low as outside, but it is controlled by a dry heat source (adding to the loss of moisture). Finally, I don't have a 45 mph wind blowing in the house either (unless, of course,... well, no, I don't talk that much). :grinno:

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
I am actually on the losing end of this phenomenon this winter. I had 13 two year old goldfishes that were in there. After a short freeze over of the pond, the next day almost all of the water was gone. Panicking, I added water and forgot to add de-chlorinator…well I have lost a number of my two year old goldfishes and all of my baby goldfish. Only about six goldfish are left but they seem very weak...I feel that it may be only a matter of time before they too are gone with the wind...it’s been a tragic holiday season for me. I can only hope that things will get better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store