intestinal parasite? worm?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The only contact I have had with intestinal worms and their treatment has been in puffers, and there infestations of new stock are all too common (almost all but Dwarves are wild caught). I have only used Discomed soaks of food -usually redworms or blackworms (which it kills BTW, feed it any way). I do the soak in RO (which is acid, my tanks are all alkaline). It has worked for me on multiple puffers.

If a new puff in QT is eating normally but not gaining mass, I will treat.

HTH

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
I found Discomed locally, he hasn't eaten much in almost 24 hours, so I'm going to give him some freeze dried bloodworms soaked in it. He keeps looking at me like "Couldn't you find any food for me?" The Disco Med says feed him soaked food twice a day for a week so I'll cut his feedings back to soaked bloodworms in the morning and late at night, and maybe one small helping of hikari. Disco Med doesn't mention pH but I'm going to soak in low pH water. It does say one capsule in 2 oz. water, I'm going to use 1/2 capsule in 1 oz.. Err also, DiscoMed has an expiration date on it, the first LFS I went to had one package and it expired 02/04, which they gave to me. The next LFS I went to had packages expiring sometime in '03 and one expiring 10/05 so I bought the 10/05 one. I'm going to use the 02/04 stuff now and shelve the 10/05.

Pet Supplies plus carries Jungle Internal Parasite Guard and Pepso food, I got some in case he won't eat the Disco food(10 bucks what the hell), if he does, I think I'm going to dose the tank in a month or so.

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
Thanks Rtr Jim, Leopardess

Btw it seems like aquatronics my be going out of business. Discomed seems like the only aquarium med with levamisol. Allegedly humans had been taking their products and some regulatory agency found out and took some action based upon product labelling. Yesterday I called to ask them where to find discomed, and while talking to the very nice man he told me this was a rumor started by a disgruntled former employee who has gone to work for a distributor, and they aren't having any problems. Then today their 800 number was out of order, just now it was working. Anyway a few LFS that carry discomed but were out of it told me this same basic story, as did www.mops.ca It would be a shame if any of this is true, so if it isn't and people who use their products go buy some to keep on hand and this helps them out a little, that might be nice.

That package that I have that's 2 months expired wouldn't dissolve, or at least not nearly as well as the one that isn't expired, which when mixed in 1 oz room temp water left no powder evven after a few minutes, the old stuff looked like almost all of it sank to the bottom as soon as I stopped stirring it, no matter how long I stirred it for.

3 LFS that I went to or called all had expired packages, so if you're thinking about stocking up you may want to keep this in mind. www.Mops.ca is the only place I found online that carries it.

I'm going to go pick up another 10/05 pkg tomorrow.

aquatronics website

Last edited:

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
Originally posted by RTR
It is inside the gut that counts. FW fish do not drink water. Treat the food and you're good.
Would it be dangerous to treat the tank as well at the same time? Could parasites be alive in the tank having exited the fish in feces?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Fish-to-fish transmission of most of these parasites is by the eating of the dead community members bearing the parasites, but indirect transmission can and does occur (especially with Camallanus). I'm not certain that you can get effective doses in tank water, and definitely you cannot in alkaline tank water when Levamisole is involved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store