intestinal parasite? worm?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
Day 7 using Disco Med / Lavisim and he's not better in fact I'd say he's worse. I only saw the one white string hanging out of him the day before I started treating him with Disco Med and haven't seen any since, but he's trying to swim through the back of the tank more than ever and he's uncharacteristically aggressive(to the point where he charges the glass when I put my face up to it sideways instead of coming and swimming next to me like he's done everyday for ever) and now not wanting to eat much. I was giving him 4 short feedings daily before I started treating him, but to make him take the discomed I've only been giving him the two feedings daily soaked in discomed, which he has been eating close to or equal to the amount that I would normally have given him, but until now when he was getting cychlid gold(which along with new life spectrum cichlid pellets is what I'm feeding him soaked) he would take as much as I would give him and beg for more, for the last two days though he's ending the feedings by swimming away. According to the instructions for using flakes I sprayed the pellets with the mixture, making sure they got good and wet and then let them dry before feeding. I made the medication mixture with RO water in order to use pH <= 7.0, but the water in my tank is like 7.7. I would say that about half the pellets he got barely touched the tank water as he was sitting at the surface with his mouth open underneath my hand.

I've also been treating his only tankmate a catfish's sinking pellets though he doesnt show any symptoms.

I'm going to give him an 8th day because the first day the discomed that I was using didn't dissolve right in the mixture(which I didn't realize until the next day I used some that wasn't 2 months expired)Basically I think I want to either try Discomed/Lavisim with the tank pH under 7.0 or try giving him food soaked in metronidazole. I'm not sure how long I should wait, he doesn't look good, so I want to get on this, but of course I don't want to over medicate him. Maybe a week with carbon and two 50% water changes? I've seen people say that soaking food is the best way to deliver metronidazole, but the only mfr I can find that says to do so is seachem and their instructions say to make some crazy paste with frozen food, my guy's only taking pellets now. On the other hand I'm thinking maybe some multiple medication product that contains metronidazole, but how or even can I soak food in it? I know there are medicated foods but I don't want to chance him not eating which is what is likely to happen if I try them.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Both meds are both best delivered in food, again the bit of FW fish not drinking water. the Discomed is most effective against roundworms, but if your fish's parasites are protozoans, the metronidazole is more effective against those. I'd do some sort of pretreatment of the food as you did for the Discomed, making sure you are getting as much med as possible in the food.

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
Hmmmm ok so the the tank pH isn't the problem with discomed. I guess I'll give him a week and try metronazidole. Maybe I'll call seachem and ask them for a recipe though if anyone knows a concentration for soaking pellets it would be great to hear or any other experience with it. I suppose its not likely that a second treatment of discomed is going to get rid of them when the first one didn't, and its not likely that this first treatment course is going to show effect after its over.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
From Josh Kaptur's article on AquaSource (http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/ipmetro.html):
There are two ways of administering metronidazole in the aquarium. By far the most effective means is through ingestion. This can be difficult with wild caught fish used to live food, or with a fish that has completely stopped eating. If your fish is still accepting commercially produced food, however, the logical method of getting the medication where it is needed (the digestive system) is through ingestion. To achieve this, dissolve roughly 50 mg (about ¼ tablet) of metronidazole into a tablespoon of hot water. Then soak commercial flake or pellets in the teaspoon so that the medication is absorbed into the food, and feed this diet exclusively for five days. Some companies even manufacture "medicated flake," which usually contains metronidazole, though I feel more confident with the DIY method.
This is the recipe I followed to soak Hikari Cichlid Excel pellets.

Jim

Karlsbad

Sharkbait
Sep 23, 2003
Chicagoland
Visit site
Originally posted by JSchmidt
From Josh Kaptur's article on AquaSource (http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/ipmetro.html):

This is the recipe I followed to soak Hikari Cichlid Excel pellets.

Jim
Hmmm ok thanks Jim. I just talked to seachem and they said they recommend using a product of theirs called focus which is some sort of 'polymer binding agent' to actually coat food in metro. So I don't know I might try that and see if he'll eat it then fall back on the soaking recipe. How were your results using this Jim? I appreciate any comments though. I kind of suspect he'd think its yucky.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
It worked for my fish. They didn't seem crazy about the food, but they didn't get anything else, so they were sufficiently hungry.

I'd be interested in hearing how the focus stuff works.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store