invert tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Ramshorn snails. They come in several colors as well, most commonly found are red, brown, and a leopard spotted brown. Less commonly found are blue. They are hemaphroditic, so can reproduce quite readily with a food source but are a nice addition to a tank, in my opinion.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
will those do good in a invert tank will they need any special requirments? I would like to find some blue ones...
happy 5,200 post lol

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
lol, thanks. No, they dont' have any special requirements. They will eat leftover food, algae, and decaying plant matter. They are very easy keepers. I have them in all of my tanks, but no blues yet! Nerite snails are another nice snail. There are a couple of species that can live in freshwater, olive nerites being the most common. They are algae eating MACHINES.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
nerite snails do not breed in freshwater, they will lay eggs, small white "grain of rice" looking eggs that can be tricky to scrape off. They are SUPER prolific algae eaters, I had a couple of them that cleared 2 walls of a tank of brown algae over night. They stay pretty small, but have big calcium needs or you will notice erosion. THey will commonly graze on cuttlebone or calcium pills. You can supplement their diet with some veggies, although supplementing with actual algae is better.

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
okay well nerites sound difficult for me lol do u happen to have any pink ramshorns? i got 2 free brown ramshorns for my lfs yesterday and they are brown will they crossbreed and have a messed up color or r they asexual?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have orange/red, and brown, and a leopard type spotted that is brownish. They will interbreed, but i havent noticed one to be dominant over the other. I always have a good mix of all the colors.

emptywallet

Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
hmmm i thought someone had like a chart if 2 colored snails will breed then most likely it will have this color...hmmm o well so do u keep them in the same tank?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
That color chart of heretability is more for apple snails, who have a broader range of colors, both solid and striped. My ramshorns started out in all seperate tanks by color, but through moving plants (and therefore their eggs) many of the tanks have mixed colors. I haven't noticed one being dominant over the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store