Is a zebra pleco worth it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
When I tried breeding, it was for the purpose of making a little money. I tried three species and one of them was an endangered type. So my thought process was that I can make money and a positive side effect would be adding to the number of them in circulation. I sold around 400 and that was to hardcore hobbyist that i know had plans for breeding . So it was a win-win. But it took away from my enjoyment of keeping fish, so I stopped.
I have bred fish in the past, some CARES fish, so endangered. but it got old, quickly.

never for profit, or any money outside of putting fish into an auction sometimes.

but the thoughts of having a fish room, and breeding all kinds of fish started to look like work and not so enjoyable.

so these days I stock lightly, grow plants, enjoy it more.

and talk to folk who keep fish.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I have bred fish in the past, some CARES fish, so endangered. but it got old, quickly.

never for profit, or any money outside of putting fish into an auction sometimes.

but the thoughts of having a fish room, and breeding all kinds of fish started to look like work and not so enjoyable.

so these days I stock lightly, grow plants, enjoy it more.

and talk to folk who keep fish.
I currently have 5 tanks ranging from 5g to 120g, but I wouldn’t mind a fish room some day, but all display tanks lol

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
we have maybe 12, from 2.5 to 40 I think... all very low maintenance. thinking about breaking down more.

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
we have maybe 12, from 2.5 to 40 I think... all very low maintenance. thinking about breaking down more.
Nice! If you’re down to 12, what did you start with? 10 was the most I’ve had.
Three of mine are low maintenance, the two bigger ones are 50% WCs two or three times a week and weekly filter cleanings, it is what it is.
Im thinking about starting a post for everyone to show their tanks. I always like seeing what others have.

Ijustlikefish

AC Members
Mar 14, 2021
But we do have to break the cycle, remember when neon were super expensive? Now they can be picked up for a buck around the corner

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Nice! If you’re down to 12, what did you start with? 10 was the most I’ve had.
Three of mine are low maintenance, the two bigger ones are 50% WCs two or three times a week and weekly filter cleanings, it is what it is.
Im thinking about starting a post for everyone to show their tanks. I always like seeing what others have.
Like I can remember? maybe 25?? largest tank was a 90.

and I lied, there's still a 90g SW tank running.

there's also a 190 waiting for me to be ready to keep and breed cuttlefish

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Like I can remember? maybe 25?? largest tank was a 90.

and I lied, there's still a 90g SW tank running.

there's also a 190 waiting for me to be ready to keep and breed cuttlefish
Very cool, I’ve been wanting to try cuttlefish since watching a nat geo vid n Highschool oceanography lol I’ll get to it one day

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Cuttlefish are expensive to feed, especially if hatched initially from eggs.

ask me how I know.

I figure if I'm going to the trouble of culturing live food for them, it's gonna be flamboyant cuttlefish, because that makes it worthwhile.

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store