Is it INhumane to keep bettas in a 1 gallon fish bowl?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Is it INhumane to keep bettas in a 1 gallon fish bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceeeyyyy

(っ◕‿◕)っ
Jun 19, 2008
rock in water
fish + bowls = :(

fish + tanks = :D

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
I stated on another thread that I've had a betta over a year living in a one gallon bowl with no filter, and no heater. ...and he was bought from a fish store where he was being kept in what looked like a cup of water. ((those tiny bowls)). As long as the water is clean (100% water changes weekly) the fish will thrive if also fed properly. It's up to you wether or not it's humane. One could argue taking a fish and keeping it in any type of captivity is inhumane. My personal belief is that no matter how a living animal or plant is to be kept, if it remains prosperous, it's A.O.K. My betta is healty as could be, and vibrant as ever.

Bottom line, a betta will do just dandy in a one gallon tank.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
bettas dont move much in the typical bettas bowls. Most of the time the water is too cold for them and because of this they get sluggish and dont move. Ontop of the cold water, these little bowls ususally dont have any room to swim in. I always say 10 gallon tank is good for them. If space is an issue, go for a 5 gallon tank. Get a heater and a filter system.

katuuuz

negative bacteria magnet
Jul 22, 2008
CT, USA
Most of the time the water is too cold for them and because of this they get sluggish and dont move.
I strongly disagree. The only reason they are "sluggish" is due to the size of the bowl/tank. Obviously the more room, the more area they will cover - but that goes for any living thing. Fact is, and I'll say it again, as long as it is properly fed, and weekly 100% water changes are routine, the fish will be perfectly fine in a one gallon bowl.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I strongly disagree. The only reason they are "sluggish" is due to the size of the bowl/tank. Obviously the more room, the more area they will cover - but that goes for any living thing. Fact is, and I'll say it again, as long as it is properly fed, and weekly 100% water changes are routine, the fish will be perfectly fine in a one gallon bowl.

If you were fed properly and the closet cleaned weekly. you could easily survive in a 2x2x2 box. Does surviving equal proper housing?

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
Bettas are "tropical" fish, ideal water temps are 78-82 degrees. Read this on any reputable fish care site.

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
I think a lot of people here forget that they wouldn't have their beloved pet bettas if it weren't for the 1g tank. Seriously folks, think about it, if everyone used 5g tanks for bettas, then guess how many bettas would be culled off (killed, not just sold off) because of lack of space during spawn growouts? Breeders use 1g jars (some even use quart size jars) because they can expand and produce NICE quality stock. If you're so against small containers, stop buying veiltails, halfmoons, crowntails and the fancy plakats. By you purchasing them, you're putting a demand on good stock, which means that breeders have to use smaller containers or be overrun and overwhelmed.

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
I think a lot of people here forget that they wouldn't have their beloved pet bettas if it weren't for the 1g tank. Seriously folks, think about it, if everyone used 5g tanks for bettas, then guess how many bettas would be culled off (killed, not just sold off) because of lack of space during spawn growouts? Breeders use 1g jars (some even use quart size jars) because they can expand and produce NICE quality stock. If you're so against small containers, stop buying veiltails, halfmoons, crowntails and the fancy plakats. By you purchasing them, you're putting a demand on good stock, which means that breeders have to use smaller containers or be overrun and overwhelmed.
Breeders keep their fish in those containers temporarily. Bettas grow out in those containers, and then get shipped to their forever homes. It's similar to keeping dogs at an animal shelter. They only live in tiny cages for a little bit until they get adopted

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I totally agree with you kind of... The problem is that the demand is there. If people quit buying betta in cups to "save them", the demand would decrease. The part I disagree with is that the culling wouldn't happen with decreased demand. Cups and small tanks enable mass production. Period. The fancy (and spectacular) bettas are not found in cups, they are found from breeders. Supply and demand... as long as profit is to be made by any practice, it will continue.

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Breeders keep their fish in those containers temporarily. Bettas grow out in those containers, and then get shipped to their forever homes. It's similar to keeping dogs at an animal shelter. They only live in tiny cages for a little bit until they get adopted

Not really. The breeders get a max of 1g jars (some breeders even put their giant breeders into 1g jars). Heck, some breeders even keep their breeding stock in 1/2g jars.

Hooked, breeders aren't breeding to supply a demand. They're breeding because it is their hobby. They produce to send fish to shows and to enhance their lines. Yes, most do sell off stock, but, this is to recoup the loss. COMMERCIAL breeders are breeding to supply a demand. However, there are some commercial breeders who do it for the love of the fish. Just like how any other pet lover may work at a petstore or anywhere else that is pet affiliated.
As for the "save the fish in the cup", the people who do this are fools. They will only replace that fish with another. That is supply and demand. It does not matter why you demand, it only matters that you do.

part I disagree with is that the culling wouldn't happen with decreased demand.
Really? Hobbiest breeders who are breeding to perfect a fish they love will still breed. If nobody wants those fish (or only a small network), they won't abandon their hobby just because others aren't into it. This just means that they will still produce their fish, and cull of what they don't want and cannot sell. In fact, this could lead to MORE culls. Think about it, breeders grow out their breeders, their back up breeders, their show fish, then a few other nice looking fish that they sell. If nobody wants to buy them, then they'll be able to cull more fish off a lot sooner, thus, have more room to produce more spawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store