Is it really that bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Well, all we can do is advise and provide opinions... it is up to you to ponder and then decide on a course of action. Good luck!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
well in the end it's your decision, the fish will either suffer or thrive by your hand alone.
All I can say is that I would not put my betta in a 1 gallon bowl, nor would I get one if I did not have the proper means to take care of it.

How do you know the tank will be free in a month if you claim that no one wants the gold fish?

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
There is a big difference between thriving and surviving. A betta in a 1/2g bowl is merely surviving and they should be living for a lot longer than just a "few months". They can live up to 5-6 years if cared for and housed properly.

Would it be THAT hard to just hold off on the purchase of a betta?? They will still be around by the time you get the 10g issue worked out.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
well I think the goldfish could thrive in a pond if i grow them a little thats why i say next month ( they grow fast) and he only lived that long because i went looking for a tank mate for him and they told me to put a female betta in with him. I was new and stupid :( My poor little Ryu and Nanami :( But that will never happen again. Think I should take the goldfish back to the store? They are feeders so they will be eaten but idk what to do :( I want them healthy but in a ten gallon they wont thrive. a betta will :)

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
your gold fish are probably miserable in a 10 gallon tank. I would take them back to the store if you can. If they do get sold as feeder fish their death will be quick, instead of slowly asphyxiating in their own waste.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
actually they get water changes every other day. And when I get home I will return them and get a betta and he can go in the ten gallon... does that sound ok?

I bought the one gallon already so what can go in it? Brine shrimp nursery/. Cherry shrimp?

Two'ADF's will be in with The betta ... That should stock the tank just right.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
do you have a heater for the 10g?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Don't do anything with the 1g. You can use it as a container for drip-acclimating your fish. Or you can store plant clippings in there. Really shouldn't be used for much more.

It's really the best idea to return the two goldfish and prepare your 10g for your future betta.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I was talking to people on the goldfish forum ( who are very good with their fish and experienced with them) And they all say keep them especially since I am putting in all the work to keep them happy and they are thriving ( dancing in front of the glass, Eating very well, swimming, Clear eyes, scales look great, Fins healing, all the signs of a healthy fish dispite fin rot when i bought them and extremely shy behavior when i got them)

And I am not sure about the betta ... I know I can choose a healthy fish and keep a very clean balanced tank ... and put tons of maintenance into it when needed.. They will all be upgraded in a few years. Or as soon as I get a bigger tank for the betta. Also the temperature in my room never gets below 72 but I can put a small heater in the water :)

I am still debating though. I am very good at keeping pets healthy abd vigilant about if there is a problem and doing everything to solve it ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store