Is it really that bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Well, I've already read your coldwater thread and everyone has already told you 10g is too small and that the fish you have will need bigger quarters way before the year is up.

Yes you do water changes & feed them, but IMO you're not providing proper care for the fish you have.

This is not intended to be "mean", just honest.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
can you provide a link to the thread where "everyone" says it's ok to keep goldfish in a 10gal tank?

I have seen you post multiple threads on AC in which people tell you that 10g is too small for goldfish....the coldwater one Fishy is talking about, when you wanted to do a Betta sorority and this one. In each one you say you are going to get rid of the goldfish.

yes 10g is the dorm regulation but you need to make it work. If you are responsible enough to set up a tank then make sure you are responsible enough to give your pets the best they deserve.

Yes they can survive in a 10g but they wont thrive.
Imagine you are locked in your bathroom to live ( someone feeds you ). At first it's not so bad a little boring and cramped but you can live. Then time passes and you run out of toilet paper....not gonna kill you just make you miserable. Then more time passes and the shampoo and soap run out. Now you are stuck in a small, cramped, boring room with no means of getting clean. You wont die but it sure isn't comfy and ideal.

That is what you are doing to your fish, you aren't killing them ( yet ) but you sure aren't making them happy or allowing them to live life to it's fullest potential. IMO they were better off as feeder fish....

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
yup i'm the worst fish owner ever. I'll keep that in mind

The water parameters are great my goldfish are an inch long and doing great they even dance for me. I feed them well twice a day as much as they can consume in 1-2 minutes. They greet me at the glass when they see me. I have gone out of my way to treat the illnesses they had when I got them. I have a fourty gallon in storage that will be set up ASAP ... They are very small right now so with proper care my tank is fine temperarily. I would definetly rather see a fish die than see it have a loving home where it will get good care. ( sarcasm)

And I know some of you mean well ... and I have tried to rehome the goldfish one guys told me to flush them because they arent worth the care...

I'm gonna keep up the care with them because they are doing great :) And they will be moved into a bigger tank asap and the betta ( if i get one) will be in the ten gallon)

Last edited:

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
40g is what they should be in now...

Well, it seems your mind was made up from the moment you got the goldfish & you're sticking to your guns, regardless of what other more experienced keepers have told you.

College/dorm life can be hectic, please don't get the betta for your 1g - focus on maintaining the 10g.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Actually I was set on giving them up and just facing accepting my buddies would be killed. I was going to give them up and get the betta. But I was talked into keeping them by about ten experienced goldfish keepers.

How do I delete my profile on this forum anyway?

Juzah

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
Honestly, dont listen to these people.

What they forget is that they're simply people repeating what they have been told by people who could afford to provide their fish with the ideal home.

You intend to move it into a bigger tank as soon as you have space right? Thats all that matters. You dont need a great filter, another ideal which people force onto those new/unsure. They come from rice patches where they have little to no current. All that matters is that you do waterchanges frequently to keep the water from becomming toxic to the fish.

People keep fish in breeding traps for sustained periods of time for sickness or hopsitalisation; It happens.

Dont let people make you feel bad, you saw a fish which you wanted, you bought it with the full intention of giving it a home in your 10g as soon as you move some things around. Just keep feeds regular, maintain water conditions and focus on getting him into the larger tank when possible.

Just dont rush it, its better it spends more time in the 1G rather than being thrown in with fish that may cause stress to it

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
thanks Juzah

And no i'm deleting it because I am never on this forum anyway. I am on forums specifically for goldfish and another specifically for bettas. And we have all made our mistakes. So everyone acting perfect ... yeah. I like the other forums because they are nice people who care tons about the fish but also sit there and listen when you are trying your best or made a mistake and are trying to fix it in the best possible way. They dont sit there and pound you into a pulp because you made an amateur mistake. I take good care of my fish despite that I got the goldfish not knowing about care. they told me they would be fine. I learned not to trust pet store people. But my fish are doing great , growing, clear eyes , fins growing back, overly active, very good appetites and they swim and greet me. I'm not like beating a puppy with a stick ( Horrible idea as it is its what you guys seem to think i'm doing to my fish)

I gave up the hobby for months and when I rehome the goldfish I may sell the tank since I am obviously terrible at this.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Honestly, dont listen to these people.

What they forget is that they're simply people repeating what they have been told by people who could afford to provide their fish with the ideal home.

You intend to move it into a bigger tank as soon as you have space right? Thats all that matters. You dont need a great filter, another ideal which people force onto those new/unsure. They come from rice patches where they have little to no current. All that matters is that you do waterchanges frequently to keep the water from becomming toxic to the fish.

People keep fish in breeding traps for sustained periods of time for sickness or hopsitalisation; It happens.

Dont let people make you feel bad, you saw a fish which you wanted, you bought it with the full intention of giving it a home in your 10g as soon as you move some things around. Just keep feeds regular, maintain water conditions and focus on getting him into the larger tank when possible.

Just dont rush it, its better it spends more time in the 1G rather than being thrown in with fish that may cause stress to it
wow.. so what you're saying here is that none of the advice given is from personal experience? I mean... I THOUGHT I had 20 years of fishkeeping experience under my belt... I guess I just dreamt it up when I was reading a fish forum. Thanks for reminding me.

You do realize that none of these fish have actually SEEN a real rice paddy, nor are they wondering where all the rice is?

To the OP: You have been given sound advice. It may not be what you want to hear, but it is good advice and at the very least, heed it. If you feel that you want to join another forum and perhaps they will give you the advice you would prefer to hear, go ahead... But don't forget, many of us are on other forums as well, and we do remember people. ;)

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
wow.. so what you're saying here is that none of the advice given is from personal experience? I mean... I THOUGHT I had 20 years of fishkeeping experience under my belt... I guess I just dreamt it up when I was reading a fish forum. Thanks for reminding me.

You do realize that none of these fish have actually SEEN a real rice paddy, nor are they wondering where all the rice is?

To the OP: You have been given sound advice. It may not be what you want to hear, but it is good advice and at the very least, heed it. If you feel that you want to join another forum and perhaps they will give you the advice you would prefer to hear, go ahead... But don't forget, many of us are on other forums as well, and we do remember people. ;)

:grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store