Is my Fishless Cycle Stalled?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
jpappy789, When I first started the cycle, I accidentally added too much ammonia. I did not add anymore after that. I did water changes to fix that, but it had stayed the same. So, I do NOT add ammonia whenever I change the water.

PattyCakes81, Again, I am doing water changes because I accidentally added too much ammonia in the beginning.
I'm confused...you said your tap water has 2 ppm ammonia...so in effect, you are adding ammonia with each water change regardless if you are intending to or not.

I was trying to figure out why you weren't lowering the concentration with water changes, an indirect way to make sure your test kit is working properly (using standards would be best, but not as simple)...it's all proportional, a 50% change would cut ammonia pre-water change by 2, unless the water you're adding back has ammonia in it already.

omarion0815

AC Members
Apr 26, 2014
Saint Augustine, FL
Oh... I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant that I was adding pure ammonia, not ammonia already in the tap water. It seems that whenever I do water changes, I don't wait enough for the water to be dechlorinated. But this last water change, I left the water overnight with the dechlorinator in it, and that's when the ammonia went down.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store