Is This a True SAE?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
The fish in the pic are peaceful. They are almost always together and they will eat algae but like other food as much. When i first saw them my feeling was they were psychadelic SAES. I will see if anybody can ID them before I post as to what they are.

Your SAEs are peaceful, however, they will argue among themselves as to which one is boss.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
After keeping SAEs for 2 years, I decided I did not like them very much as algae eaters. They get fat and lazy and stop eating algae and eat fish food. They also get more aggressive as they get older. My crew consists of otos, farlowellas, and either flag fish or shrimp for hair algae. SAEs are way over rated.

My SAEs chased dwarf cichlids, and then started pestering my Angels, nibbling on their sides. I don't think they actually feed on fish slime as chinese algae eaters do, but they were still way to disruptive.

Last edited:

DTs

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
FWIW, one of my rummy nose tetras is missing an eye now. No other fish in the tank except the SAEs. I wonder if one of them grabbed a quick "snack"??

If Flying Foxes are more spastic than these fish, then wow!

Robert - thanks for the quick "sweep" of my posts. I appreciate your input.

FWIW, my plants have been growing like crazy over the last week and a half. I have several stems of Ammannia Gracilis and one will probably breach the surface in a day or two in my 24" tall tank.

Here's a pic. I'm going to add a few more midground plants, as well as a few somewhat larger leafed green background plants for contrast. The foreground will be either baby tears or micro tenellus, not sure which I'm going to go with yet.

Last edited:

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
TwoTankAmin-

I have seen that fish a couple times and I don't remember the exact name, it is Crossocheilus .........., but it is really an awesome fish from what I've heard. I was told it eats all the same algaes as SAE's. I thought it looked dyed ar something, but LFS guy said it wasn't. Do you have some of these guys? Do they eat all the same algaes as SAE's? Would you be willing to part with any?

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
I have kept SAE's for about 3 years now, and I haven't had them really chase anything but each other, which they do quite a bit. My Dwarfs have spawned regularly with the SAE's around. But, I agree they get fat and lazy as they get older. I agree that Amano shrimp do a good job on hair algae. But, in a new tank you need to have so many to combat the algae effectively at first and then as the tank balances, you either have to feed them or they start dying off. Also, when my dwarfs spawn, they harass the shrimp to no end and they end up living under the filter inputs/outputs on the top of the tank until the the dwarfs done. I have lots of cover and usually can't see any of my shrimp, but the dwarfs seem to seek them out when they are about to spawn. I guess as always, there is no perfect animal for algae control. It is always best to balance out your nutreints and keep up on the water changes.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Matt you are close enough that you win the prize.

But the most interesting fish was one that I had not seen before, "Denison's Flying Fox" or the "Red Line Torpedo Fish" (Puntius denisonii, formerly Barbus denisonii Day 1865, and Madan also referred to it as Crossocheilus denisonii - there is still lots of confusion over Indian fish names!). This fish resembles the common Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis) and I assume it has the same algae eating propensities (plus I am informed it will similarly eat most live or dried foods), but as my photographs show it is far more colourful, with beautiful red and yellow stripes on its body and fins. It is peaceful and non-territorial, and grows to about 16cm. It is a jumper and should be in a covered tank. One of my Indian friends once had one jump five feet straight up out of a bucket - he caught it at eye level! Later I took the trouble to seek out the wholesaler, in Madras, and was told that it is only available seasonally, being caught in the wild from fast flowing hill streams in South India. (It thus requires a well oxygenated tank and will accept cooler temperatures). Like the flying fox, it has not yet been bred in captivity and I do not know how many are left in the wild, although Madan told me that it is not on the endangered list. (December '02: I just came across a list in an Indian web site http://www.ornamentalfishes.org/html/family.htm that says that this fish is endangered, but "sufficient quantity is available for commercial exploitation"). Particularly if it could be bred in captivity*, it would be a wonderful alternative to flying foxes in our aquariums. It has recently been imported and sold in North America, at a price of US$30 - 40, and some were sold in Germany in 1997.
This came from this site- MEET AN AQUARIST SERIES: THE AQUARISTS OF BANGALORE

For a lovely picture of Madan's tank- Madan's Tank

I got mine from The Fish Place in the Buffalo area.

DIYMatt

AC Members
Oct 8, 2001
Minneapolis, MN
LOL....I know that the LFS(which usually is a good one) I saw it in had listed the name as Crossochielus something. Apparently they were wrong. What is it with the algae eaters that make them so hard to get accurate names for? Especially since he wanted $75 a peice for them!!! Thats why I asked if you had some to spare:)

On a unrelated note to those from MN on the SAE topic. I went into the "Store by the airport" recently and they had some SAE's. They had them listed as "True Flying Fox", and what we call here as Flying foxes as "False Flying Foxes" and they said they thought the SAE was something completely different but they don't have in stock, but sometimes carry. WHAT?!? I had the same questions three years ago in there and they thought they straightened it out. The reason I noticed was because someone was asking about a hair algae problem and the employee was suggesting duckweed and completely stopping all trace fertilization! He told the guy the Seachem stuff he was using probably had Posphates and that was the cause of the hair algae. He also said that he did not know of a fish or animal that ate it. They had SAE's and Amano shrimp in at the time. I guess thats why I hadn't been in there in over a year!

Sorry just had to vent, I hate it when the stores have an issue and will not listen to a customer that suggests they may be wrong and to look into it to not furthe confuse/frustrate their customers. Especially when it is supposed to be one of the few "reputable" places around. But, alage eaters are always a pain it seems.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
True SAE with black stripe through nose and tail is also called flying fox.

False SAE stripe not through like SAE and has gold strip on top of black one. Gets fat.

Flying Fox has stripe through and some coloration in fins and
body.

Those fish should still be available from Pete at the Fish Place. the price was no where near $75 but they were not cheap either. He ships.

sardesign

AC Members
Sep 28, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
True SAE with black stripe through nose and tail is also called flying fox.

False SAE stripe not through like SAE and has gold strip on top of black one. Gets fat.

Flying Fox has stripe through and some coloration in fins and
body.

Those fish should still be available from Pete at the Fish Place. the price was no where near $75 but they were not cheap either. He ships.
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

The flying fox is scientifically classified as Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus
The true SAE is scientifically classified as Crossocheilus siamensis
The false SAE is scientifically classified as Garra taeniata
The CAE is scientifically classified as Gyrinocheilus aymonieri

The main difference from all to the true SAE is the single black stripe that extends from nose to end of tail. Another difference is the way it perches... it will prop itself up on it's fins.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Pain is an understatement. The only fish I have found that is harder to catch in a planted tank is the false SAE. When smaller they and young sae can easily be confused. Yours look like true SAE to me, but the pic isn't great.

Joe- I cant imagine why you have SAEs in that tank. I could not see a scrap of algae anywhere :D .

Now, for some fun. I have these SAE relatives. Can anybody tell me what they are? (I know but am curious if others do.)

Roseline Sharks. Very pretty, very expensive. Great story too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store