IT has BEGUN!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Great tank plan !

For the background - if its going to be against a wall which I presume it is, get some heavy duty cardboard backing; Artists mounting boards are great. Cut to size and stick together as necessary. Very easy, very changeable, very effective.

The only other question I would have is whether you are wedded to that substrate ? The malawis really pop with natural sand or gravel, or black sand. Those bright substrates can really wash them out a bit.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah i don't think you are going to keep that blue mixed substrate are you, Coler said it first but i would go with the black sand as well but if you are going to use a reverse UGF flow than you may want to do the black substrate gravel to avoid clogging the UGF also word of caution UGF really do not stand up to Mbuna aye they love to dig pits and you will find yourself moving sand/gravel back over the UGF..

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Yea that's what i thought with the Mbuna. I have 100 pounds of black gravel that I will be using. I would go black sand, but I can save 10 bucks a bag on gravel, and put that money towards other things. I might just do a jet system, but I'm not sure yet.

OH and I plan on going Reverse Under Gravel Filter, so filtered water flows through the rocks, to keep them from stirring up things. I just wanted to make that clear.

Thanks again!

Mike

Last edited:

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Black will look good! I had blue gravel in my 55 Malawi tank as thats what it came with and changed it to a mix of blue and dark brown gravel. Also have a dark red wall in there room so added like 1/2 cup of dark red as an accent. Brings the room together! :D The dark gravel makes them totally pop! Cant wait to see this thing going!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool deal.. I just took out all UGF's in some of my setups and went with Maxi jet 600 power heads with a sponge option and i could have not made a better decision when i did this.. the ease of popping off the sponge and cleaning it has made life wonderful for me but at any rate you will not go wrong with what you decide..

Take care my friend..

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Ok, so here's the question would the RFUGF be ok in the mbuna tank, or would it be better to do something using under gravel gets. I have the ugf plates already, but can easily buy some 1" pvc to make up a jet system. I want to get this tank filled with water soon so I can start cycling! I want this thing stocked before the end of july!

THanks!

MIke

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I would just stay the path with the UGF if you are concerned with gravel issues.. Way back in the day the UGF was the way of the filter you can not go wrong with one just sucks when they get extremely dirty i advise of gravel vacs each water change to keep the detritus down..

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
WEll i got bored, so i bought 12 feet of .5" pvc, and some fittings...I then went rock shopping.

enjoy, oh and, poopy on the graven should not be a problem with 550 gph. I have another pump and enough piping and fittings to add a third pump for 775.

OH

I need more help (go figure). Is this enough caves for my selected stockings?

Thanks a bunch and enjoy!

Mike

DSC_0211.JPG DSC_0212.JPG DSC_0213.JPG DSC_0214.JPG DSC_0215.JPG DSC_0216.JPG DSC_0217.JPG DSC_0218.JPG DSC_0219.JPG DSC_0221.JPG

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
There is a good amount of caves, if that is what you want to know; but IMHO, the rockwork looks to me too symmetrical and then, a little bit unnatural. I would create 2 piles (one on each side), one bigger than the other. The bigger one should be larger and higher (more than half of the tank's height). In the middle of both piles, you can put a few dispersed rocks or very low caves for decorative purpose. Of course, this is just my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store