IT has BEGUN!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i agree with the asymmetrical-ness idea. the way you have your rockwork set up looks good, but it might look just as nice with an empty space in the middle of the tank and the rock and slate piled unevenly on either end. but the main idea of rockwork is to make caves and 'comfy spots' for all the fish, and you have accomplished that well.

i like your UGJ system!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
but the main idea of rockwork is to make caves and 'comfy spots' for all the fish, and you have accomplished that well.
I agree with this. If you like the look of your rockwork, then I would just try to make it a little bit higher; if possible. :)

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
There is a good amount of caves, if that is what you want to know; but IMHO, the rockwork looks to me too symmetrical and then, a little bit unnatural. I would create 2 piles (one on each side), one bigger than the other. The bigger one should be larger and higher (more than half of the tank's height). In the middle of both piles, you can put a few dispersed rocks or very low caves for decorative purpose. Of course, this is just my opinion.
This is my general, personal preference as well. Although I did go for the flower pots in my newest tank- and I really like the look! Still kept the two piles idea with one pile much larger than the other and some open space between the two. I do like the semetrical look of your tank, and I think complete it will look better. Do what you enjoy, it does have enough space for the fish. And hey- you'll get board and rearrange them! ;)

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
exactly!! As i get bored with the setup i will re-arrange. I'm going to pick up some pavers so I can get a good base to build on, which will allow me to go higher. I'll also need to pick up some egg crate to cut up for base material. I like the slate cause it's pretty light weight compared to larger flat stones. I like symetrical looks, so i'm going to see what I can to. I might take a little of the piles idea by making one side of the above higher than the other, but we will see. The biggest issue I have is that the higher i go, the more unstable the pile becomes. So i'll need to silicone the peices together, which isn't an issue as I have a tube of GE silicone 1. So i think a stop of my favorite store will be in order for more supplies.

Thanks and keep the comments coming!

MIke

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that was my issue with my slate and rocks in my cichlid tank, i wanted to really pile them up, but not having silicone on hand to secure them from toppling made it so i could only go two tier, especially with a frisky juvi oscar in the tank. next rescape is definitely getting taller rockwork!

(note to self: buy silicone next lfs trip)

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Actually,

Go to the home depot and buy a tube of ge silicone 1 clear. It cost me about 2 bucks, and is a huge tube! then get yourself a calk gun and go to town.

Mike

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
good idea (home depot). i will be going there soon to get supplies for the diy UGJ i'm going to be making for the same tank the slate is in, so one trip is better than two!

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Exactly! I need to adjust mine some, make the jets lower to the gravel. For the 75 i used just over 10 feet, so i suggest getting two lengths.

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store