Jack Dempsey in a 29 G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Definitely go for the 55g; that gives you some options. Is your concern the weight on the floor, or the effect of spilling if the tank breaks? If it's the floor, try to find out how the joists run, and make sure the tank area is supported by multiple joists (you should be able to get at least three and maybe four joists under the tank area).

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
solenoid said:
I originally wanted an Oscar, but am definitely not ready for a 75G or 100G yet.
They get about the same size, the oscar may get a little bigger, when I had mine I got them at the same size and they were both about 9[-10 inches a year and a half later. The oscar was more aggressive though. I would'nt put either in smaller than a 55 each.

solenoid

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Thanks again for the help everyone.

I'm now leaning toward a 55G with one Jack Dempsey. My main concern living in an apartment though is possible spills/water leaking through the floor to the apartment below me. Should I really be concerned, or does this rarely happen if the tank is set up properly on a good stand?

Thanks!

chad55

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
The best thing I have EVER done to avoid spills is to buy a python gravel vac. Goes directly to the sink and I have never had a spill. It is one of the best investments I have ever made in my years on fish keeping. BTW if you want something for a 55 with personality I would recommend severums. You COULD keep a severum in a 29 but it won't be all that happy. I wouldn't think of putting mine in anything less than a 55. I personally dont like JD that much because they hide all the time IME. Oh and what do you know I just happen to have a big beautiful gold sev for sale. Haha. I was jp but I would deffinatly think about sevs. You could fit a pair in a 55.

Chad

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
solenoid said:
Thanks again for the help everyone.

I'm now leaning toward a 55G with one Jack Dempsey. My main concern living in an apartment though is possible spills/water leaking through the floor to the apartment below me. Should I really be concerned, or does this rarely happen if the tank is set up properly on a good stand?

Thanks!
Rarely happens, but CAN happen. Given your situation, it would be prudent to look into insurance for a worst case scenario. I've got three tanks in a small bedroom that have a total volume of about 130g. I've had one puddle develop when I got a crack in an Aquaclear filter. In anticipation of the worst case, however, I have all my electric cord connections a foot or two off the ground. Odds are you'll never have a problem.

MeatWagon

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
Renters insurance is cheap as heck. I think I pay less then $10 a month with my car insurance.

Also, IMO a 40 breeder would be better then a 55. The extra depth is better the the length.

Last edited:

solenoid

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Well, I looked into renter's insurance and got conflicting information. My car insurance rep told me that the insurance would not cover damages to someone else's property.

So, I've decided to stick with my original plan of a 29G tank, with a single convict and maybe some sort of catfish. New question now.....will a single convict be happy? I definitely do not want a breeding pair, but am concerned about him being bored.

Thanks!

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
I don't think they need to have others of their own kind, just some playmates should be ok.

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
If your going to just get a convict then you should be able to get another small central american cichlid to go in the tank with him like a salvini or a fire mouth. I love my little convict she's probably my favorite fish and for now she has no trouble dealing with the Jag and JD but in time she may have to move to my 40.
Also you angent was correct renters insurance only covers damage to your property if something where to happen in the apartment like a fire or flood. There may be some sort of insureance out there though that would cover damage to the landlords property caused by you its worth looking into I mean hey if J-Lo can insure her booty then anything is possible right?

solenoid

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
It's so hard to decide! So, in a 29G, how would one male convict, one catfish (maybe a Raphael?), and a small school of large tetras be? Or maybe two female convicts with no tetras? I kind of like the males better though.

Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store