Java moss brown stuff please help?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

charbel101

AC Members
Apr 27, 2014
Im not getting seachem excel im getting another product i forgot the name..but it's liquid...how should i know how much should i put from the bottle to my tank?

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
If it's advertised as a liquid co2 source it is likely the same ingredient, glutaraldehyde. I think API makes one, API co2 booster or something like that. The products typically have dosing recommendations on the bottle, and the caps can often be used for rough measurements, I use plastic syringes to measure mine out. If it's a liquid fert, a full recommended dose should be fine, for a glut product if you want to be cautious start with a half dose and work up. Personally I've dosed full doses of excel with java moss, flame moss, fissidens fontanus, and taiwan moss, and had little to no melt. Vals on the other hand disappear when I dose excel.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Nope different stuff. CO2 is used by plants to aid in photosythesis. Fertilizers are more like plant food consisting of Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, and other micronutrients. You wouldn't really find a carbon source in a fertilizer. It needs to be obtained through a different source. For terrestrial plants there is plenty of carbon available from co2 gas in the atmosphere. In your typical aquarium co2 is at a much lower concentration. For some plants the normal concentration in the aquarium is sufficient and it is not always necessary to supplement. For example, crypts, anubias, java ferns, and mosses can all do well in lower light without any additional carbon. However, in higher light conditions it can become necessary to supplement carbon either through the addition of co2 gas or through a liquid source such as suggested previously.

Give this thread a look over it may explain a couple things:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...o2-Fertilization-Algae-and-more-updated-10-10

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Im worried that if got the liquid co2 today im worried that my java will melt :(!
It isn't necessary to supplement carbon for mosses, I was just advising to use caution if you did.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
The problem is my tank is still new...and theres no source of food for it
For the plants, or for your cycle? You can add some ferts for the plants if your worried. It won't hurt. Like I said they are separate from the carbon source and won't harm your moss. It shouldn't be an issue though. They should survive just fine while your tank cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store