Julii Cory Cat Keeps swiming in the middle of the tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishingsting

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2006
Hello,

I have a Julii Cory Cat that is swiming in the middle of the tank. He keeps swiming in front of the the tank, and never seems to rest. He use to lay low along the bottom until a few days ago. I changed the water... no change in his swimming pattern. He is getting plenty of food, but he acts like he is hungry. I had the water tested, and everything is in line. Any ideas or suggestions on what might be going on with this little guy?

Watcher74

Senior N00b
Feb 5, 2004
Texas
Visit site
All the julii corys that I have owned have had periods of odd behavior.

But the vast majority do very well in my care. And almost every other type of fish I have kept have been pretty consistent in my experience.

I personally think that those type of fish just do odd things sometimes.

But heck, who knows? Just my experiences with them.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Funny that way, aren't they?

I have several different types of cories together, and they all have different personalities. The Julii does what yours does, however he is the only Julii and I think he would be less inclined to do it if he had a proper group of 3 or more.

Of all the cories, he seems to be the most "dysfunctional" and unhappy. He will have his own family once I get this 75g up. Almost done, couple more days :)

Roan

Fishingsting

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for the info.... I thought something was bothering him because he was very peaceful at one time. It was only the past week that he has been acting strange. I adjusted the water temp from 80 to 76 to see if that made any behavior change... It didn't. I want to get him some buddies to socialize with. But that will have to wait until I get a bigger tank. Until then... I'll just have a "Nutty" one on my hands. He'll have to get tired of swiming sometime soon... I hope! Thanks agin!

ddayton21

I'm bored
Oct 25, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
my julii (3 line cories labeled as julii) are the same way....odd behavior for different periods of time

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Fishingsting said:
Thanks for the info.... I thought something was bothering him because he was very peaceful at one time. It was only the past week that he has been acting strange. I adjusted the water temp from 80 to 76 to see if that made any behavior change... It didn't. I want to get him some buddies to socialize with. But that will have to wait until I get a bigger tank. Until then... I'll just have a "Nutty" one on my hands. He'll have to get tired of swiming sometime soon... I hope! Thanks agin!
I don't know how long you've had him, but if he's "just" started doing that recently, keep an eye on him. Behavioral changes can mean something is amiss.

Do you have your recent water parameters for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

He may be trying to tell you something is wrong with the water.

Roan

AQUA_OBSESSION

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
I have 4 Jullis and 4 Metaes in my 92 Gallon Corner Tank and they do the same thing all day long. The Metaes do it occasionally, but the Julli's seem to do it all the time. They go to the top, lay on live plants, do all kinds of goofy things. They seem to be very active fish with an active personality.

They even try to school with my RummyNose Tetras for awhile until they get tired out. LOL

UncaBret

Yummmm!
Nov 23, 2005
Normal,IL
www.myspace.com
Fishingsting said:
I want to get him some buddies to socialize with. But that will have to wait until I get a bigger tank. QUOTE]
How big is your tank and what do you have in it? I wouldn't think 1 or 2 more corys would make a big change unless you were already overstocked.

My otos will occasionally school with my white clouds for a while.
Its soooo cute!

CharlieV

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
well I have 5 Julii and 2 Sterbae. 4 Julii hang out together always on the bottom of the tank sifting for food. The largest Julii schools with the 2 Sterbae in the middle, bottom, top, sides and pretty much anywhere they like. I spotted one of them having a rest on my L102 Plec tail the other night!

Crazy little fish - have you seen them gulp air yet?

Just keep an eye on him/her - it sounds normal though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store