Just between us girls

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Hope you all are not getting sick of these yet. Had so many images I liked from this series. Still have more I'd like to add at a later time.

Cheers,
Russ
Oh yes, please stop posting these amazing photos! I can't stand it anymore! ;)

As soon as I saw the group photo around the rock there I thought "I love those rocks! I wonder how he keeps them so clean?" And then you answered me! lol How often do you remove rocks for cleaning?

Reactions: Razzo

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Oh yes, please stop posting these amazing photos! I can't stand it anymore! ;)

As soon as I saw the group photo around the rock there I thought "I love those rocks! I wonder how he keeps them so clean?" And then you answered me! lol How often do you remove rocks for cleaning?
Thank you :)

The answer to that question has been changing (for the better). I had been plagued with brown algae (diatoms) and they made house cleaning miserable. I had since declared war on diatoms and read everything under the sun trying to gather the intel needed to understand this adversary. So, I have dramatically reduced the problem and today, the nuclear option arrived in the mail: a RO DI System :)

The source of the diatom problem is very high silicates in my tap water. So, by eliminating the food source, the diatoms should start disappearing forever. Future plans include creating some sort of planted tank (refugium) piped to my display tank that will consume 100% of my nitrate load (actually, it will out compete the nitrifying bacteria for the ammonia so nitrates are not even made). That's the goal anyways :)

Sorry for geeking out, I'm just excited that the RO DI arrived today.

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I completely understand! I too have a RODI unit. ;) I rarely use it now that I moved onto a different/better, yet way more expensive solution, a dedicated iron filter to remove just the iron, not add salt to the water (like my water softener) and leave all the goodness my plants DO like. Had to make that switch when I added the 5k gallon pond, RO wasn't gonna cut it. hehe

Glad you found your problem AND a solution, that's a great thing! Hope it works out for you!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
I completely understand! I too have a RODI unit. ;) I rarely use it now that I moved onto a different/better, yet way more expensive solution, a dedicated iron filter to remove just the iron, not add salt to the water (like my water softener) and leave all the goodness my plants DO like. Had to make that switch when I added the 5k gallon pond, RO wasn't gonna cut it. hehe

Glad you found your problem AND a solution, that's a great thing! Hope it works out for you!
Huh? Please tell me more about this iron filter? Is it like a whole house filter that you might plumb just upstream of the where the water softener would normally be?

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Real Name
Russ
I was reviewing my folder from this series and noticed a few more that I'd like to add. While he is not "one of the girls," I though Tsididi (the tank Beta male) should make an appearance :D

Hope you like...

8DiagramPoleFighter

AC Members
Nov 3, 2015
NOLA
Real Name
Fuzzy
Camera Used
Sony Alpha 58
Awesome fish and great photography!!

Reactions: Razzo
zoomed.com