Keeping Aquariums Cool?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
I am having that same problem, I live in LaCrosse, WI. its only 75 out and the tank goes up to 82. I froze some water bottles adn put them in, didn't really help, im going to try the fan thing. but I was wondering if there is some sort of cooler thing, like the AC that is little and I could "hook" up to the tank to keep it cooler

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
82* isn't bad at all. Remember, I have Goldfish to worry about (both indoors and outdoors) and temps in the 80's isn't good for them longterm but if all you have is tropical fish then 82 is fine...some people keep their tanks at 82 regularly! :p

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Oops missed that part of your post...

...well thats strange if its only 75 in your house that your aquarium would be 82? :eek: My tank is usually a few degrees UNDER what my house is...provided no heater is in use.

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
Originally posted by OxyBomb
I am having that same problem, I live in LaCrosse, WI. its only 75 out and the tank goes up to 82. I froze some water bottles adn put them in, didn't really help, im going to try the fan thing. but I was wondering if there is some sort of cooler thing, like the AC that is little and I could "hook" up to the tank to keep it cooler
They do make chillers for tanks, but they are rather expensive. If you are DIY inclined you can make your own with a old orm-sized fridge!

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
Heat

I live in middle oklahoma, and I also have problems with my tank's temp shifting wildly. I only have a 15 gallon, and we're cheap, so we don't use AC unless necessary. The other day, the temps reached the 90's and my tank climbed from 78 to 84 before I started changing the water w/ cooler water, which only helped slightly.

Running AC all day is not really an option. My winter months electric is about $140 per month, but last summer we had months where is climbed to over $300, due to AC usage.

gideon

AC Members
Apr 17, 2004
austin tx.
Visit site
how, with the dorm fridge? I dont run heaters in my tanks either even my trops run 73, 74 all year long but my outdoor goldfish pond could use some help! they get up to 90 sometimes and there in the shade, granted there just feeders but there still beings:eek:

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Dapple2

They do make chillers for tanks, but they are rather expensive. If you are DIY inclined you can make your own with a old orm-sized fridge!

that was one idea I had was to "mod" an old dorm sized fridge, but I dont know if I have the know how of that, id be willing to mess around with it for a while. do you know where to get a tank chiller? it would be nice to just look it up. thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store