Kribensis Babies!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
That's awesome!! Funny how things happen, isn't it? Just when you least expect, or, in my case, just when you stop trying, it happens.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Juliet has them out and about!! They're swimming around in a cloud of striped babies. Totally adorable! She's doing a good job too... after watching her for about 15 minutes, she didn't loose anyone! I'm really proud of her :)

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Okay, I will. One little problem... I have a red tailed shark in the tank whose half blind, and although he's been pretty good up to this point, last night mom got pretty scared by him, and was having a hard time returning to her nest. Do you think, if I put the male back in, he would still accept his fry and protect them? Or no?

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I tend to think that probably wouldn't go well. Not impossible though. But if she is all frantic already I would be surprised if it would work out. I just bought a divider to keep angels apart.. Could you get the shark into maybe one third of the one side of aquarium? Or, those fry would be fine in their own tank if you have one.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the advice, but I prefer to let the parent(s) raise the fry, and I don't have a spare tank big enough for all of them. Still, thanks for the options, but its just not gonna work in my current setup.

She seems to be doing better now anyway. She actually let the fry move by themselves today, as opposed to picking them up in her mouth and spitting them back out whenever they would change spots. How long until they're at least a 1/4 of an inch?

As for pictures, I unfortunately can't post any! I spent like a half hour trying to add some, but for some reason my computer won't let me :( Sorry guys.

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Shouldn't be two weeks til 1/4 inch. Then a month and they explode to nearly an inch and you can sex them and they begin fighting for territories. Well, before three months..

JacobOrtiz

Registered Member
Jul 5, 2013
I'll see if I can some picts. uploaded in a moment. There are a TON more on the bottom this morning though, and when I shown a light down into the cave (it looks a lot like a flat vase, with an opening at the top and then a circular, deep bottom), they started wiggling around! Its sooo amazing to watch these fish develop, especially because I've never worked with egg laying types before!

I'm not planning on using live bbs, because the only way to get them around here is through mail order, but I do have a pack of frozen bbs, and some First Bites fish food, which is basically tiny sinking granules for small fry.

I'll see if I can post some picts!
First of all congrats.. Yes you need to bit careful while handling them and share some pics when feasible..Congrats again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store