L-183 starlight bristlenose pleco care?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Cool. :) i'll think about it. could I put the leaves in the filter so I wouldn't be looking at them all the time?
Just use the Lipton flow-thru teabags in your filter, then add sugar to the bucket when you do partial water changes and refrigerate. It's all about recycling to "go green"... :thm:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
As far as feeding, I feed NLS 1mm Cichlid or .5mm Grow pellets to all my fish. BN, 204's, Hypancistrus and Peckoltia spp as well as mbuna, peacocks, various SA cichlids and assorted catfish all thrive on them as a staple diet.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Congrats on the find. They are beautiful plecos. I'd use the leaves to create the blackwater/tannin rich water. As far as I know, Mopani is a very hard wood and does not leach anything. It's the softer malaysian driftwood that leaches a lot of tannins. But the leaching won't go on forever, so you still need a regular source of tannins like the almond leaves. From what I've heard about these fish over the years, most people shorten their life span considerably by not providing them with the blackwater that they need.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
As far as feeding, I feed NLS 1mm Cichlid or .5mm Grow pellets to all my fish. BN, 204's, Hypancistrus and Peckoltia spp as well as mbuna, peacocks, various SA cichlids and assorted catfish all thrive on them as a staple diet.
I'd like to... But my petsmart/petco just don't stock it. :p so I use omega one. Any other ideas?

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
Ok... So do you think (s)he'd be ok without the black water for a few weeks? (QT)
I still have your address. I can send you a few IAL (indian almond leaves) if you want. I think I can do it in a regular envelope with just a couple stamps. I got a few hundred from an Aquabid seller some months back. You can also collect dried oak leaves yourself, and this will work.

I'd like to... But my petsmart/petco just don't stock it. :p so I use omega one. Any other ideas?
Nothing wrong with Omega One. With the veggies you're going to feed it won't be a big deal. IMO where a lot of people go wrong is not providing enough protein for their plecos since they are omnivorous. You'll want to supplement with bloodworms, shrimp pellets, etc, the same stuff that your ram likes.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just thought I would add this, it comes from the wild angelfish site where I am a member.

I posted this:
Excuse what may be a dumb question, but are the catappa leaf "Indian almond leaves"? And another Q re leaves, would oak leaves do?
He is the reply:
"There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers!"

Yes Chris, Catappa or Ketapang leaves, Terminalia catappa, are Indian Almond Leaves.

These are much stronger than oak when it comes to providing benefical acids, phenols, and other biosurfactants to the water than oak.

I also used oak years back but boiling a large amount of leaves to get a bit of blackwater color and they never give the result of catappa (leaf for leaf). But there free in many places.
In addition to the catappa leaves, alder cones will also help a lot in this respect.

I got involved with black water because I am hoping to receive some wild altums in the very near future and had to set up a proper tank for this.

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
I actually went ahead and sent you some this afternoon, since I was going to the post office already. Hope you don't mind. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store