LED lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Luxeon Rebels are what was on the Solaris I series.. the last Solaris fixture made, and they touted it as being equivalent to a 400w MH light. The owner of a LFS I used to work at bought a 6' I series ($4500!) for the 150G bowfront in the store because of this claim... and it simply wasn't true. All he could grow with that light was softies, lps, and very low light SPS corals. It was more comparable to Power Compacts than it was to a 400w MH.

So I still stick by my statement because I have seen them in action for a year... that was until the power supply died on the Solaris after 12 months, they were out of business, and it was just a $4500 paper weight. Expensive lesson to have to learn.

He ended up going with 6 T5HOs after that and it was at least 2x the light according to my PAR meter than the Solaris fixture which enabled him to grow acros in the tank, not kill them like the Solaris did. ;)

I think the Rebels were just slightly less than the Cree XR-E, which was the first LED that I thought "finally starting to get somewhere". When the XP-Gs came out.. I said "Now we are talking, finally an LED light that good enough for just about all SPS corals". :)

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
actually XR-E's with the use of optics can be powerful enough to grow even the most light demanding SPS out there. you just have to group the LEDs closer together the tighter the optic is so you dont get spotlighting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store