Leopard gecko (rock wall build)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
ya there cheap, like 60 cents, so i like to use them on projects like this where recovering the brush is not really a priority. the first coat was really watered down almost like a tomato soup but a tad bit thicker. also it looks kinda shinny because it's not completely dry i think it's a bit to humid here to might take a while. it does dry a white color and i'm reluctant to paint it in the ends to get a more natural feeling so if any one has ideas of what i can add to a final layer of grout to color it that would help.

that is one amazing tank you posted ohbly but different style then what i'm looking for on this tank (make shale looking)

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I like to mix play sand in with my tile grout to make it look a little more textured and grainy. How many layers are you planning on applying? I did at least 3 for my leopard gecko background.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
not sure yet really i'll stop when i think it looks good but i was thinking at least 3, also i'll be adding some sand to at least one coat but i think mostly i need color because i'm going for a smoother looking rock. do you have any ideas of pigments (non toxic paint or something) that would add color instead sort of a beige color for the rocks.

Last edited:

ohbly

AC Members
Feb 9, 2006
New Zealand
concrete pigments mixed with the grout and then a coat of very watered down, non-toxic black craft paint to highlight the texture?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
They do make a wide variety of tile grout pigments.

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
something along those lines i think should work well. hell i might even use just pure pigment watered down sprayed onto the wet grout too. ether way i have to go hunting up stuff in town on Friday because i got my second, much thicker coat down and i like the look of it so far.

these where taken right after i got done with the second coat.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
btw Vicious you said in another thread you use sand right? and that you sift it or something am i right or thinking of another person?
Yes and no. I didn't sift the sand when I added it to the grout mix. But I do sift the sand that I use as substrate for my leopard geckos to remove any big pieces out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store