LFS Hilarity

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
TheMightyQueenPixie said:
You must go back and ask...
PLEASE go back and ask!

If you can't post the store address or their phone number and I'll phone them and ask.

I gotta know :)

Roan

lucas68

Registered Fish User
Jan 4, 2006
Newark, DE
Ok, I couldn't resist, so I called one of the "LAND of PETs" stores in the US. They had no idea what I was talking about (I could even hear some giggles in the back ground when the girl asked the manager). It must be a Canadian thing. Sorry, but I didn't feel like making the international call to the stores in your area to see what this would be for.

Actually, it’s for when you go on vacation somewhere with a fresh water lake. You tie the string around the fish and dump it in the lake. That way you can make sure the fish are happy.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Bah, doesn't cost that much to call Alberta. Just gimme the name of the city -- Lethbridge, whatever -- I'll call and find out.

Roan

Grumble, 10 Petlands in Calgary.

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I was telling my 9 year old daughter about this thread and some of the responses you guys were coming up with. She shook her head and said, "A pet rock would be silly. Who would want a pet rock?"

'Course those of us who are a little older would remember the pet rock fad. I had to explain it to her and tell her yes, mommy had a pet rock named Sam.

I thought she was gonna bust a gut laughing at me :p:

Roan

Slick Fork

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Wild Rose Country
Ok, here's the scoop!

I stop in at the store on my way home and find the first available salesperson and asked about the "rock with string" She looked at me like I was retarded for about 2 minutes and then announced with a voice full of authority that "the rock with the purple string is $45" I asked what made it a $45 rock when I could just go to the river and pick a few nice ones out for free? She then launched into a lengthy explanation about how their rocks were only of the highest quality and subjected to rigorous (sp?) sorting before they arrived at the store!

By this time I had quite a crowd growing so the pressure not to let the matter drop was unbelievable so I fired back with "So where does the string fit in to all of this?" She pondered this matter for a minute or so and responded by saying "the fish like to play with the string." Not willing to let her off so easily I asked why the purple string was more expensive than the white string. This mind-boggler required the attention of the fish manager who explained to me that due to the way a fish's eye works, the colour purple was much more pleasing to them and that only a store like theirs would invest the necessary resources to come up with such an innovative solution as purple string!

So there you have it, I am constantly amazed at the things I miss and shall be eternally grateful that the good folks at the retail chains are constantly coming out with new and innovative products to help make my fishkeeping experience better.

As a sideline, this episode has inspired me to create my own product to complement "Rock with a string" I think I shall call it "Brick with a stick" As an introductory offer anybody responding to this thread will recieve 15% off of the regular price of $72.45US (which I'm sure you will agree is an extremely fair price considering all the R&D costs incured). Please send all cheques payable to "CASH"

Reactions: evil wizard

redilyn

AC Members
Jan 31, 2005
omg. that is the funniest thing i have heard all day!

hummm i wonder if purple really is thier favorite color...

NotGumbel

The Dude
Nov 5, 2004
Elkins, WV USA
redilyn said:
hummm i wonder if purple really is thier favorite color...
I think mine would rather I spent the money on food instead of string ...

Maybe this whole rock-on-a-string sale began with a late-nite dare of "Dude, I bet somebody will buy a rock if you tie a string on it, man." :p:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store