Lighting question for 30 gallon Planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Someone on another forum just won a Victor two stage regulator for 99[FONT=&quot]¢[/FONT] plus shipping. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]To save even more money, you can get a Swagelok/Nupro or Parker metering valve and a Parker (or another brand of) solenoid from eBay, closeout or another aquarist.
HAHA that was me.

I went the milwakee way originally and upgraded to an inline fabco needle valve. To be honest consistency is a real problem with the Milwaukee regulators and as i'm sure you have read inconsistent co2 can be much worse for your tank than no co2 at all. This is a problem with DIY co2 and also a problem with cheaper regulators. I admit i was afraid to build a regulator at first but left c helped me out a lot. It's as easy as screwing two pipes together.

This saying is very applicable when it comes to regulators: Pay me now or pay me later. Once you realize some of the problems with single stage regulators you'll want to upgrade and get something better. It's better to start with something better then to buy a cheapie and end up paying more to get a better one too.

If you lived in Colorado i'd help you build one but i'm not sure if you leave near me.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
HAHA that was me.

I went the milwakee way originally and upgraded to an inline fabco needle valve. To be honest consistency is a real problem with the Milwaukee regulators and as i'm sure you have read inconsistent co2 can be much worse for your tank than no co2 at all. This is a problem with DIY co2 and also a problem with cheaper regulators. I admit i was afraid to build a regulator at first but left c helped me out a lot. It's as easy as screwing two pipes together.

This saying is very applicable when it comes to regulators: Pay me now or pay me later. Once you realize some of the problems with single stage regulators you'll want to upgrade and get something better. It's better to start with something better then to buy a cheapie and end up paying more to get a better one too.

If you lived in Colorado i'd help you build one but i'm not sure if you leave near me.
Thanks for the offer! :)

you get what you pay for when it comes to this stuff...

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
Those Azoo regulators were going for $40 a few years back.
Wow, $40 for the regulator and how much for the rest?

I've seen (linked earlier in this thread) to a few how to guides on what to purchase. I guess I'm afraid of purchasing a piece of equipment on ebay/craigslist when I know very little or nothing about them. I know two stage regulators are better, but not much else about which ones are better, and all the specific fittings, etc.

I'm up for getting an assist on this, I'm somewhat handy :) I just don't wanna spend all my time researching the sexy intricacies of CO2 equipment, I didn't get into the hobby to do this ;) haha (sorry if I sound like an ***, I really appreciate the help!)

Can I purchase an Azoo or Mil. regulator and get a good needle valve like the brass Ideal V52-1-12? Which model of Victor should I look for? I saw the guides, but I didn't see a list of good ones vs bad ones.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
Those Azoo regulators were going for $40 a few years back.
How is this regulator: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?planta&1293684606

Hehe, the Milwaukee CO2 regulator is $40 on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-co2-regulator-solenoid-bubble-counter-/290516824670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a426f25e#ht_559wt_1141

Worth purchasing and replacing the valve?

There's also an Aquatek one: http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUATEK-CO2-Regulator-NEW-COOL-TOUCH-SOLENOID-/230567397001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aee34689#ht_2547wt_1141

So many with no brand name or proper model number...

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Wow, $40 for the regulator and how much for the rest?

I've seen (linked earlier in this thread) to a few how to guides on what to purchase. I guess I'm afraid of purchasing a piece of equipment on ebay/craigslist when I know very little or nothing about them. I know two stage regulators are better, but not much else about which ones are better, and all the specific fittings, etc.

I'm up for getting an assist on this, I'm somewhat handy :) I just don't wanna spend all my time researching the sexy intricacies of CO2 equipment, I didn't get into the hobby to do this ;) haha (sorry if I sound like an ***, I really appreciate the help!)

Can I purchase an Azoo or Mil. regulator and get a good needle valve like the brass Ideal V52-1-12? Which model of Victor should I look for? I saw the guides, but I didn't see a list of good ones vs bad ones.
if you go the milwakee route get a fabco NV-55 needle valve. It's a much cheaper route then going the ideal v52-1-12. Coachz sells the fittings that you need for the fabco needle valve to put in inline on your regulator.

sundragon

AC Members
Dec 8, 2010
Washington, DC
if you go the milwakee route get a fabco NV-55 needle valve. It's a much cheaper route then going the ideal v52-1-12. Coachz sells the fittings that you need for the fabco needle valve to put in inline on your regulator.
Understood. But Milwaukee isn't great and the regulators sold at Fosters and The plant store are single stage, and not really good either...

So looking on ebay, leaves me the question, which brand/model of regulator is worth purchasing? Is there a guide to what's good and bad?

• The Barr Report has: VTS253A-1993 regulator mentioned. It does have a laundry list of the bits and pieces used to create one.
  • Rex's Best Darn Regulator doesn't list the model number or brand (though his can be bought with a solenoid for $146 - though no mention of the included valve unless you upgrade)
  • Earlier in this thread someone mentioned a "victor dual stage regulator" for $0.99 - which model? are all the Victor DS regulators good?
  • Also earlier in this thread; Herns got a "Concoa 212" DS regulator for 99¢ off ebay last year. I'll look for this one as well. Is there a specific model or are all of them good?

I'm scratching my head, is there a list of recommended regulators online somewhere? I searched Barr Report and "Regulator" "DIY" comes up with 5 pages of threads :)

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
victor regulator's are the best imo. I got the 99 cents regulator and it was a vts 252c regulator. It was originally used for hydrogen gas but i converted it to co2.

Concoa is another great brand. the concoa 312 are great regulators. I found a guy a week ago on ebay that agreed to sell me one for 45 dollars.

here is a thread i started a little while ago when i was first discovering pressurized co2. It might help you. Left c lists some models of great regulators you can get http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237145

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store