Livebearer in-tank food supply

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he's saying is he's trying to hit a sweet spot where the other fish will eat the fry, but not the livebearer parents. In this case, wouldn't they produce an intermittent source of live food for the other fish as long as the parents lived?
Exactly! Goodness thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
And what BFM is saying is that the fry will be eaten as soon as they drop, therefore not making them a sustainable source of food.
OMG! Lol so hard to get through... I never mentioned I wasn't going to feed my fish! I just wanted a live food treat every here and there.. I DONT CARE if the fry get eaten, or when they will get eaten! All I asked was which fish produced the most fry!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
ok, so just to clarify, you are wanting to have livebearers in the same tank as the discus that would be eating the livebearers? like i said, having the food supply in the same tank as the fish that are eating the food supply does not work.
Again I'm not creating a food supply I JUST want my fish to get some 'dessert' treats every few weeks off livebearer babies. I know THATS not going to work.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
and what we are trying to say is that the fry produced by the livebearers will get eaten very quickly by the other fish, and this will not work as a revolving 'in-tank live food supply'.

i'm done here. other threads of yours have gone against our proper advice, and you don't seem to listen to what we are saying anyway.
I DONT want an in-tank food supply! I want free dessert for my fish

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Okay, I understand that you are a child but acting as though people who have been keeping fish longer than you have been alive are somehow inferior or don't understand what you are saying isn't going to get you anywhere. NOW if you would like to do this, set up a ten gallon tank with a small sponge filter and try endlers, they are relatively cheap and produce large amounts of fry.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Okay, I understand that you are a child but acting as though people who have been keeping fish longer than you have been alive are somehow inferior or don't understand what you are saying isn't going to get you anywhere. NOW if you would like to do this, set up a ten gallon tank with a small sponge filter and try endlers, they are relatively cheap and produce large amounts of fry.
Ok I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm thinking about going back to mfk and quiting this account... forget the livebearers. I don't want to start my own livefood culture! I have plenty of flakes, worms, and pellets. I just want my fish to eat some fry!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he's saying is he's trying to hit a sweet spot where the other fish will eat the fry, but not the livebearer parents. In this case, wouldn't they produce an intermittent source of live food for the other fish as long as the parents lived?
Yes! FREE live food exactly! Except i would still like to feed pellets and stuff alot.

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
I guess I really do not understand why the food source has to be self-sustaining. If the fish are large enough to eat fry but not adults. I am not a child, I have a Ph.D. in ecology. I am honestly asking what you are getting at, because I feel I'm not understanding something.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Your not inferior? You just dont understand what im trying to say. no i dont want feeder guppies. I dont want to breed my own live food. If i was doing that id probably go the feeder convicts route like i did before. I like feeding flakes and pellets. I just like the way guppies look and I was wondering if the fry they produced are a good live food source? keeping in mind I still WANT to feed pelletized food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store