Livebearer in-tank food supply

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
That is not educating about the hobby, which is what the members of this forum are all about. I think that were we get mixed up is that there are some of us here who genuinely care about the hobby and want to educate whereas so many other boards simply "answer the question and let them do what they want".
You are educating him by answering his question. He doesn't know what livebearer produces the most fry thus by answering his question he is getting "educated." You definitely don't get what OP was asking for. He doesnt want a whole page dedicated to people saying this is not a good idea. It's a simple question and all this argument could've been avoided if people just answered his question instead of trying to act all high and mighty by telling him what's good and what's not.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Okay, call me crazy, but I think folks are being ridiculous here. Forgive me if I missed somebody already giving this reply, BUT:
From what you've said about wanting desert for your fish I think I can answer your question a little bit. First off I've kept guppies in a few tanks of mine with the intention of their fry being eaten. More or less I get a really great male out of the guppy tank and I want to hold on to him but don't want him competing with whichever breeding male I'm using. In that case I normally throw them in one of my other tanks (for instance my SA community with angels) with a couple of females to breed with. They produce offspring once every month or two without really any realistic effect. Basically whoever the cichlid is in the tank will eat the little ones within a day. That being said, I really enjoyed having them with the angels since the odd offspring that managed to escape the angel's initial genocidal onslaught provided some very interesting entertainment for the angels for the next day or so. Its very fun to watch them hunt the little buggers. While they DID NOT provide a really nutritional staple (the parent guppies use the same nutrients available to the predator fish to grow their offspring) and there aren't frequent enough breedings (especially without dirtying the water for your discus), IT WAS WORTH IT since the hunting was fun to watch. Simple breakdown time:
- guppies produce lots of young frequently and are pretty
- my angels didn't eat the parents but did massacre the young within 48 hours WITHOUT FAIL (normally <24hrs)
- sometimes the guppy males caused issues with their behavior
- Still very fun to watch

On a side note, I actually did have a growing guppy population in with my male beta. He would allow 3 of every generation to survive, so it can work, it just depends on which predator we're talking about. That being said, he would also only predate for about 48 hours and then would stop altogether (hence the 3 survivors every time) and would no longer look at the survivors as a possible food source. So even in a population of livebearers that is growing at a faster rate than they're being eaten, you won't be able to achieve a sustainable food source.

To those of you spending time misunderstanding the OP:
Please don't use the forum as a way to expand your sense of self-rightiousness regarding fish-keeping. Yes very frequently people ask how to do very stupid things and ignore other's advice against doing it (such as goldies in a 10g). Hold off on judgement until you've made sure somebody isn't just having a little fun. We all break the rules in our own small ways, thats part of what makes the hobby fun, figuring out how to get your style of tank working as well as possible.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
That is not educating about the hobby, which is what the members of this forum are all about. I think that were we get mixed up is that there are some of us here who genuinely care about the hobby and want to educate whereas so many other boards simply "answer the question and let them do what they want".
Unless internet access is different for you, in the end all you can do is let someone do what they want. As far as educating others, I guess it's a matter of how upset you feel like getting at the time.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I dont think it is wrong to give advice on an alternate (and with a person's experience, perhaps more successful) way to do things. If all people did for me when I was first starting was just "answer my question and let them do what they want" I would not have nearly the successful, beautiful, or diverse aquatic environments as I do now.

On a second note, going on what everyone had with the title of the thread and the question, we had no idea that it was just for an occasional snack rather than a staple food source. Usually "In tank food supply" means just that, a supply of food not a "snack". And since the OP had to berate other posters who were trying to educate him on an in tank food supply with 20 of his own repeating posts one right after the other about how he didnt WANT an in tank food supply, well, you can imagine people's confusion and response to childish behavior. In order to best educate people and give advice, we would have needed a more specific idea on what he wanted as well as correct terminology so that this mess wouldnt have happened.

As for platies not caring about giving birth, I may have to use them in the future. I have lost quite a few female guppies to stress-death during after birth when I kept the mutts in a community tank. Usually it was either the other fish trying to eat the fry before they were even out of her and the male guppies that were trying to breed with her at the same time that caused it. I now move my females either to a birthing tank or a breeder net (if birthing tank is occupied) if I can for their peace of mind and safety.

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
I dont think it is wrong to give advice on an alternate (and with a person's experience, perhaps more successful) way to do things. If all people did for me when I was first starting was just "answer my question and let them do what they want" I would not have nearly the successful, beautiful, or diverse aquatic environments as I do now.

On a second note, going on what everyone had with the title of the thread and the question, we had no idea that it was just for an occasional snack rather than a staple food source. Usually "In tank food supply" means just that, a supply of food not a "snack". And since the OP had to berate other posters who were trying to educate him on an in tank food supply with 20 of his own repeating posts one right after the other about how he didnt WANT an in tank food supply, well, you can imagine people's confusion and response to childish behavior. In order to best educate people and give advice, we would have needed a more specific idea on what he wanted as well as correct terminology so that this mess wouldnt have happened.

As for platies not caring about giving birth, I may have to use them in the future. I have lost quite a few female guppies to stress-death during after birth when I kept the mutts in a community tank. Usually it was either the other fish trying to eat the fry before they were even out of her and the male guppies that were trying to breed with her at the same time that caused it. I now move my females either to a birthing tank or a breeder net (if birthing tank is occupied) if I can for their peace of mind and safety.
Try them. I wasn't expecting her to have fry that time so she was out and about in my community tank. She gave birth probably twice or three times. I'm not sure cause I don't pay attention and I never see any babies swim.

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
To those of you spending time misunderstanding the OP:
Please don't use the forum as a way to expand your sense of self-rightiousness regarding fish-keeping. Yes very frequently people ask how to do very stupid things and ignore other's advice against doing it (such as goldies in a 10g). Hold off on judgement until you've made sure somebody isn't just having a little fun. We all break the rules in our own small ways, thats part of what makes the hobby fun, figuring out how to get your style of tank working as well as possible.
Thank you.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Least killis will give you the most spread, but also may only go to the most aggressive. They don't give birth in shogun bursts. They do a constant birthing where a certain amount pop out each day. Get enough of them and it could be a constant stream.

Personally id mix. Mollies (stay away from the giants if you can) and dwarfs. Or guppies and dwarfs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store