losing 1 celestial pearl danio's a day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nathan.G

AC Members
could be. but u would think that i would see other effect on the other fish in my tank. and ur right they do set high standard but with 4 contaminated water notices on my door in the last 2 years, i feel if im not going to drink it i shouldnt expect my fish to live in it

Nathan.G

AC Members
i also have an issue with falling kh and use their water to help regulate it in a slow manner. in one week my kh will go from 7 to 3 if i let it, they say that co2 only changes ph. but with pools an acid can effect ph with out changing the alk (KH) or if u use the same acid and add it a different way it will effect the alk. my thinking is the co2 is being dissolved completely with no loss thus effecting the alk. so i have added crushed coral in a filter bag to help stabilize the kh. it has seemed to work so far 3 days and no change. i could very well be wrong on the co2 affect on the kh. The theories of water maintenance between a pool and aquarium vary greatly

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I think 10% wc weekly is too small, mixing water to the target kh for consistency is the best bet. I dont dose co2 so not sure if that affects kh. But would think it can affect ph and thus kh.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nathan.G

AC Members
i usually do 10% daily until i started to have issues, and the kh difference is less than 1kh, My water is 6kh and i add water that has a 7kh . what i was wonder is, since they are soo sensitive is that enought of a change to cause them stress,

just grabbing for straws, and throwing some sh*t at the wall to see what sticks

i asked again today and no one has said anything about the other fish dying but he did let me know i bought the fast majority of the stock they received

water change last night, still have the 2 left, i will attempt another tomorrow,

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I'm not certain if CPDs are really sensitive. My CPDs in my main tank have gone through lots of things like antibiotics, Algae Eliminator, cyano treatments, very large (50 to 75%) WCs and there are still doing well in my community tank that has barbs, rams and somewhat aggressive shellies.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nathan.G

AC Members
there is some what of a local breeder (Tucson) that i have a call in to. im just getting frustrated. first i had and issue with shrimp that i went threw about 30 shrimp and a few snails before i solved that one (thank u forums). and now this. as of this morning i still have the 2. another water change tonight fingers crossed

Nathan.G

AC Members
no more losses. I kinda got and earful from the breeder tho. Lets just say that he has not impresses with my small but frequent approach to water changes. I thought i was doing them good, but appears that with my amount, and several varieties of filtration i have that i would be better doing only 30% a month or so. So far so good, Was also recommend to add some stress zyme +, and some black water expert.

I was thinking about it, but wasnt sure if the black water is a good idea for my other fish (mostly concerned about the panda garras, cherry,and amano shrimp, dont really care about he rest) but he swears by it, thought id ask and see what u guys thought

also was suggested to add filter media which removes phos. but didnt think that'd be a good idea in a planted tank

FishFanMan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2013
Naperville, IL
I'd say less additives the better. If your water quality stays good and algae is no problem, them maybe you can go with monthly WCs. I would top off using distilled/RO water and probably do a BIG water change once a month, perhaps 50%. Might want to get a TDS meter to make sure dissolved solids are not building up also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store