Lost 2 clown plecos within 2 days of purchase. Wth?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shaners30

AC Members
Mar 2, 2022
Well something must be going on i cannot think of. Lost 2 clowns within 24-36 hours of acclimation. Introduced 2 yoyo loaches at same time with first. 3 with second. They are doing just fine.

unsure where to go/do. Hate to go back to store for 3rd time and get replacement just because if 3rd one will have same fate.

Levels seem fine. All other fish in tank are great.

anyone shed some light on possible cause? Or simply bad luck? Or something im missing?

At store the plecs looks fine. They all move from net and seem fine in bag for transport. I live 5 minutes from the store. And within the 36 hours in my tank their color fades. They stiffen up and just dont move. Almost instantly upon release they seem to swim to bottom. Land in awkward postion and never move or i see them sideways or upside down. Upon release after 1-2 hour acclimation with adding water to bag in stages. Lights off. Next day find them in same spot. Its almost like they are dead on arrival.
bizarre.

35 gal hex tank.
20220302_064040.jpg20220302_064019.jpg20220302_063836.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Tell us more about the tank, how it was cycled and current readings from a good liquid test kit. I'm not big on in bag acclimation at all.

Shaners30

AC Members
Mar 2, 2022
Well I do not have and liquid test kits - only strips - tank was fishless cycled early Dec '21 - been adding in fish monthly - this was my last and final add.
Water changes every 3 weeks usually 1/3 tank. Upkeep on media vaccuming and water conditioner / Tetra aqua safe plus and easy balance plus each change - api stress coat plus each change.

Ive acclimated all other fish in there now similar - they all have been great and adjusted without issue.
Unless the pleco need another way?

Does that help?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You really need a good liquid test kit, the strips are very inaccurate, IMO. How did you do the fishes cycle...complete details. Clowns need a well established and stable tank, as well as most loaches. What size tank is this, btw? I'm guessing your tank is not cycled or well established.

Shaners30

AC Members
Mar 2, 2022
Ill pick up a liquid test kit today then and run the numbers to see where they show.
Tank was set up - added in starter bacteria - ran it few weeks without any fish - water went hazt to clear - levels tested within range - added few fish - ran tank few weeks - levels tested in range - repeated till I am now - 3 months. Have Mollies - Tetras - Loaches all without issue.

Apologies for my lack of expertice but Not following on how my tank would not be cycled or established- both my Nitrate/Nitrite levels are reading close to zero per test strips. - Water is clear with out any additives -
I have a few loaches in there already which are showing no signs off issues and they were introduced along with the plec that didnt make it.

Unless I have a process skewed or misunderstanding - willing to hear some consrtuctive critisism to learn.

35 gallon hex tank - canister filter

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would recommend no clowns. Though slow growing, that tank is way too small for them, considering they do best in large groups in a well established tank and need swimming room. The hex foot print is way too small. Depending on your WC schedule, your nitrates shouldn't be close to zero. Ammonia and nitrites should be at zero basically. What specific type of pleco?

Shaners30

AC Members
Mar 2, 2022
Not following your question of what specific type of pleco? - Clown Pleco - was what I had - that foot print is too small for them? They max at 3.5 - 4" correct?

My Nitrate levels were showing close to 20-30 ppt on my test strip this morning which is normally where it is - when I said close to zero - was just going off color the test strip came up with.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'd keep the nitrate under 5 ppm with water changes.
What does your tap water read on a sample left out overnight?
The foot print is way too small for clown loaches....maybe I mis-read your post.
What is the exact specific stocking on your tank?

Shaners30

AC Members
Mar 2, 2022
Have not tested tap water yet -
Stock - 4 neon tetras -3 - black skirt tetras - 3 gold dust mollies -2 dalmation mollies - 4 yoyo loaches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store