Lost 5 fish, very upset.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
IME, I used to have serpae tetras(a group of 5 when I was newbie), and then for some reason, all the serpaes except 1 died, and then since it wasn't able to school with my platys, and corys, I found it dead the next morning:(

I think they die because they are very stressed out without other fish in the tank(that are similar to them, and make them feel safe), and are scared because they can't school or anything, especially during feeding time, they school because 1 at a time, one fish darts up to get food, and comes back down.
Good Luck
sorry for your loss
Thank you, and I hope mine doesn't end up like that...

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I hope so too, but it all depends on how strong the fish is as of now.........

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
If the tetra survives the next little while as you get the tank set up it will be ok by itself. We "inherited" a lone skirt that lived for another 3 or 4 years. I'm sure it would have prefered a school but we didn't want more. Add more if you have tank space in the future, now isn't the best time to get any new fish. Good luck!

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Then to address your question about the equipment that was in the tote... I think it would be fine as long as you wash thoroughly. To be safe, I'd probably toss the filter media, but other than that a good scrub & rinse should be enough. Just my 2 cents, though---I'd defer to the opinions of the more experienced members here.
Mos def. Vinegar maybe...I bet something got in there that funked out your fish. Sorry to hear, man. These situations suck and we've all been there :) +1 for the experiment though.

:cheers:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sorry for the loss of fish. Not knowing what the tote was made out of makes it hard to hazard a guess if that was the cause. I do however have a continuing bacterial problem with one tank that has a filter system made from totes. Seems the only time there is no problem is when I run a uv system on it full time. It has taken me months of trying things and then waiting for a reaction to figure out where the problem is. I hope you can solve the cause with yours faster than I could find it with mine.

I have never heard of fast acclimation. That must be a new trend.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Thanks all, I will be attemtping to get a 40gal tank proper from petco during their dollarp-per-gallon sale (right up the street from me) so I may be trying it again, minuse the tote part :) Course, this will be AFTER the work is done, may get the tank tomorrow or something then set it up next week.

Sorry for the loss of fish. Not knowing what the tote was made out of makes it hard to hazard a guess if that was the cause. I do however have a continuing bacterial problem with one tank that has a filter system made from totes. Seems the only time there is no problem is when I run a uv system on it full time. It has taken me months of trying things and then waiting for a reaction to figure out where the problem is. I hope you can solve the cause with yours faster than I could find it with mine.

I have never heard of fast acclimation. That must be a new trend.
I see.... well, the tote was one of those gray ones you get from home depot for storage, so it *could* have been the tote. But considering the light was coated in white dust and chunks of whatever I doubt the tote was the cause. As fro fast acclimated, I invented it :D Basically, you drip acclimate twice as fast as normal, for emergencies like this one, when you need to move fish ASAP and just don't have time to spend on waiting for a drip-per-second dripper. Mine was going at 10 drips a second so that was petty fast, for me.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I hate when fish are lost for trivial reasons. but i think anyone who has been into fish keeping for any length of time has a story to tell about losing fish. I don't think the tank will be overstocked and since you only have the filter that you have i would not add anything else. The other filters that were on the tote I would put on the 20 gal tank if they fit to keep them seeded. I probably would not throw anything away.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I find it an odd coincidence that my problem filter is also a gray tote that I bought at our local (nationwide name) hardware store.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I find it an odd coincidence that my problem filter is also a gray tote that I bought at our local (nationwide name) hardware store.
it is... maybe the totes have something in them that is reactive to stuff found in fish tanks? Or just plain toxic? Hmm.... interesting.

Smitty, I've already drained, cleaned, and left empty all the filters that had been on the 45tote. I'll just cycle it when I get the 40gal tank.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Hee are pics of the Survivors. The Ram is active, impossible to get a good pic, so no pics of her. Not so with the skirt, poor thing.

DSCF0562.JPG

DSCF0560.JPG

DSCF0563.JPG

Any ideas as to what's wrong with the fins and how to treat it? I used some stress coat and ick-be-gone to try and help, but...

DSCF0562.JPG DSCF0560.JPG DSCF0563.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store