Making a whole basement a saltwater aquarium jungle.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
I am going to make my whole basement into a large saltwater reef room. I'm gonna make my own aquariums, filtration systems, Reverse Osmosis machine maker & lighting systems if that is possible. I wonder if you can make a saltwater machine maker. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. Although I can't do this till I move out of my parents home. Still, please let me know. I wanna know for future references.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Difficult to make your own RO/DI. The parts are pretty much standardized, so you'll have to buy the parts pre-made. You can construct and customize your own RO/DI unit from those parts, however.

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
Well, I hope to move in about two years. I want a couple acres of land too to make a 1 acre pond that will have fancy goldfish in it. I will post pics whenever I get to this project. It may not be for another several years. Sorry I can't post pics now. I'm just a little too poor right now to do anything right now.

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
I might have a room of freshwater stuff too. You guys on this forum may not be too interested in that though. I'll still share pics if anybody wants to see. I might just build my own house with 2 stories & a basement. The second floor would be my freshwater room. The first floor would just be where I live. The basement will be the saltwater room.

Jellymolly44

Handsome Fella
Jun 14, 2008
Louisville
That's a tough question cellodaisy. I will have to invest a lot of money before I do all of this. I have a lot of patience & I just know someday I will get all of this done beautifully. I guess I would start out small & spend wisely. That's all the advice I can give you guys for now. I still have a lot of homework to do too on how to make the aquariums, filters, heaters, lights, RO machine maker & Saltwater machine maker. I'm thinking to just make a one filter system that will filter all the aquariums. A protein skimmer for the saltwater aquariums & a canister bio filter for the freshwater aquariums. The heater will operate in the Ro machine & the saltwater machine maker. The RO machine will operate in both the freshwater & saltwater aquariums. This unit will be connected to the aquariums by two plastic tubes. One will be intake & one will be the outtake. The intake tube will put water int the the tank while the outtake tube will take water out of the tank. For the saltwater, I'm thinking about connecting the saltwater machine maker the same way as the RO machine is connected. But it will only be connected to the saltwater aquariums. How I'm gonna make this work is I'm gonna check the salt content in the water & I'll take some RO water & put it in the salwater machine maker till the salt water content is 1.024. I will have a drain that all of the bad water will fall into. I mean when the machine makes a water change. That's all I can think of about the filter systems. I hope everyone understood what I just said.

Now for the lighting. I'm hoping to make a metal halide lighting system that will carry flourescent bulbs that stretches across all of the aquariums. Aquariums on top row will be 10 gallons each & there will only be two flourescent light bulbs hanging above these aquariums. For the middle row, the aquariums are 20 Gallons each. There will be four flourescent bulbs hanging from each aquarium. The bottom row has 40 Gallon Aquariums. They will have six flourescent bulbs hanging from each aquarium. All aquariums will be connected also. This will be the way I'll do things.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
It's a good thing you're patient, because I'm afraid you may have to be. Once you're out on your own, it's amazing how hard it is to have money left at the end of the month. Rent, groceries, utilities, doctor bills, vet bills... if it isn't one thing, it's another. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store