Male Betta in a community tank - progression thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
BTW I didnt plan on getting a betta. But my mom wanted 1 really bad and they looked so cool I thought 'what the heck'. Seriously though I dont think this betta cares about his tankmates. The gourami just swims right by a thousand times and he doesnt even blink. not that fish have eyelids anyways ;).

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
I agree with everyone. Remove the betta before something happens to it. Avoid keeping the betta and the gourami in the same tank because they will kill each other. The Betta will attack and kill the guppies and I'm hoping that the Discus is in a bigger tank minimum 50 gallons.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Hi i have a big crowntail male betta in my 100gal heavily planted community tank right now. I put him in 1 hour ago and all is good so far. My stock list includes discus, rainbowfish, killifish, cory cats, otocinclus, bristlenose pleco, dwarf gourami, guppys, dwarf shrimps, hatchetfish, and upside down catfish. I will update this on a daily basis. Pics uploaded as soon as my phone is charged.
I think the real problem here is the fact that there are discus with rainbow fish, dwarf gourami, and an upside down catfish... I have read and heard at least 100 times that discus shouldn't be kept with flashy, active, flamboyant fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
Everybodys still ok. The bettas doing great :) no deaths since he was added. The betta is a grouch and he nips at nearby swimming fish but they get along alright.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
if the betta is nipping at other fish then the betta definitely does not belong in that tank.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Everybodys still ok. The bettas doing great :) no deaths since he was added. The betta is a grouch and he nips at nearby swimming fish but they get along alright.

I don't wanna come off as rude at all, understand that this is constructive criticism: but you are making a HUGE mistake. Take it from me...here's a little story I hope will help you understand.

I got into aquariums not too long ago, bought fish (like the green spotted dragonet in my profile pic) people told me it wouldn't work. I didn't listen. He starved to death, and I have felt awful ever since. It would have been less painful to throw $45 into the toilet and flush. I have been asking and following good advice from these people closely ever since.

It might be days, weeks even--but something WILL happen. Please don't set yourself for disappointment and follow the advice the others have given you. You CANNOT beat nature.

mr.bigglesworth

AC Members
Feb 19, 2012
Norcal, East Bay Area
Real Name
Ryan
I don't wanna come off as rude at all, understand that this is constructive criticism: but you are making a HUGE mistake. Take it from me...here's a little story I hope will help you understand.

I got into aquariums not too long ago, bought fish (like the green spotted dragonet in my profile pic) people told me it wouldn't work. I didn't listen. He starved to death, and I have felt awful ever since. It would have been less painful to throw $45 into the toilet and flush. I have been asking and following good advice from these people closely ever since.

It might be days, weeks even--but something WILL happen. Please don't set yourself for disappointment and follow the advice the others have given you. You CANNOT beat nature.
I'm not a noob I've been a member on mfk since January, I have almost 1,000 posts and I've been keeping fish for 3 years. Not very long compared to a lot of you I know. I only used to have big fish. Just don't know much about community tanks and I've never had a betta b4 but I know there's a reason their called the Siamese fighting fish.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
I'm not a noob I've been a member on mfk since January, I have almost 1,000 posts and I've been keeping fish for 3 years. Not very long compared to a lot of you I know. I only used to have big fish. Just don't know much about community tanks and I've never had a betta b4 but I know there's a reason their called the Siamese fighting fish.

I'm not questioning your experience. I'm wondering about your motive here...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store