Male Betta in a community tank - progression thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
those of us that have had bettas (gee, i wonder why my user name is what it is??) have the experience with bettas to know that you should remove this one from the tank.

ps - the length of time somebody is a fishkeeper has no bearing on their knowledge of keeping fish.

lesleyx

AC Members
May 20, 2012
Scotland
Real Name
Lesley
Camera Used
Mobile
You really should move your betta to his own tank, a while ago I had my betta in my community tank along with my pearl gourami thinking it would be fine as my gourami never bothers anyone, they lasted 6months together then I got up one morning & the gourami had shredded my bettas fins he,d been badly beat up I was devastated. Went & got him his own tank luckily he pulled through. Just don't risk it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
Get a 10g for ur betta. U can even divide that and put two in there. From what I've seen bettas(specially the ones with long fins) dont do well in currents and it stresses them out. Bettas are kinda slow eaters too. My bettas will let the pellet sink to the bottom of the tank til they eat it. Community fish dont give a f**k where the food is. If they're hungry they will eat it.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CathyGo

AC Members
Dec 20, 2012
Bettas in a community with known fin shredders or otherwise incompatible fish sometimes seem to motor along just fine for months until suddenly getting torn up or dying. The betta is normally the one that needs protection. They aren't really aggressive except to their own kind. The only time I've had a betta be an aggressor was to snails(food!) or peacock gudgeons(too much like a betta). They even ignored fancy guppies that I thought might be too betta-like.

I've kept bettas in large community tanks successfully but the community and filtration was chosen with the betta in mind. No barbs, tetras, other anabantoids, aggressive fish, etc. Plenty of plants to break up current and hide behind/rest on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store