Massive crystal red die-off :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i don't know, i don't see any evidence of anything like that. I would have thought if it was a contaminate, the older shrimp would have been hardest hit, not the juvies. Its very odd. Who knows, I will just do the best I can to salvage what is left, and see about buying some more to reinfuse my stock.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Wow, that's terrible MSJ. I hope you figure out what happened soon. Good luck in rebuilding your stock. :(

TwoHobbies

AC Members
Jun 26, 2008
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Good luck figuring out what went wrong.
I think I would do another 50% PWC tomorrow.

KathleenO

AC Members
May 17, 2008
Very sorry for your loss! About 4 weeks ago I learned the hard way how toxic pothos is when a few of my cory cats had begun nibbling on the leaves that were in the water..it's hard being a newbie. Lots of heartbreak. As soon as the pothos was taken out, no strange deaths have occurred.
I assume there's something else going on with your shrimp - I hope you get it figured out - good luck!

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
perhaps you had a drop in dissolved oxygen? That's always my first thought when hearing about fish in planted tanks that die overnight. When the lights are off, plants use oxygen and excrete CO2. This would explain why the larger animals died first - because they have larger oxygen demands.

When I had a planted tank, I set an airstone to run on an opposite cycle from my lights. Lights go on, air goes off. Lights go off, air goes on.

Just a thought, anyway.

Yadokari

AC Members
Feb 10, 2008
I'm sorry to hear that happen! I have crystals that randomly just die too! I don't even understand :-( I actually just found another one dead today. Died to what, I don't even know.
They're definitely harder to keep :(

I wish you the best of luck!!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
so shocked to see this thread. sorry for your loss. was there any temperature fluctuations recently. when was the last time you did a water change? i would add a little stress coat into the water just to be safe. maybe one or two died which affected the water chemistry quickly and caused the mass die off. just think of anything. maybe they started a cult and decided that today was redemption day. either way, i hope they rebuild their populations.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Wow, that's odd -- what a mystery! :eek:mg:
I hope it was just a one-time thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store