Massive crystal red die-off :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
hmm, i had posted a huge response, i wonder where it ended up.

I was super shocked. No temp fluctuations. I do 2x30% wc's on ALL my shrimp tanks every week. I used prime, even though I have well water, today. But all the other 9 shrimp tanks are completely fine, even the one sandwiched next to it which is also open top. In fact, there are now baby tigers and berried blue pearls in it. Also, new berried crystal red mama as of tonight, go figure. Its mysterious alright.

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
im gonna stick with my cult theory then. seems to be no reason to why they died. as long aas they are doing alright now, it should hopefully stay that way. good thing you had built such a large population that they can still replenish themselves.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
yeah, but i lost about 40 grade a/s shrimp, lol, gonna take awhile to build that back up! oh well, learning curve I guess.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I'm thinking a contaminant would hit 1) freshly molted shrimp 2) juvies hardest, then adults - reason - less depth of tissue, thinner shell to get through before vital internal organs get hit.

So, I'd suggest covering up the tank and carrying on. Sorry to hear about the loss, but it should bounce back.

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
hi jinkz, had u added anything in ur tank that had in copper in it. or had u done a water change yesterday.do u have copper pipes, the red crystals can not take any copper.
When my sister started out with her first one she use her water from her well and she has copper pipes and a few days later all of the one she had added was die too.and also she had added PH UP.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
hi jinkz, had u added anything in ur tank that had in copper in it. or had u done a water change yesterday.do u have copper pipes, the red crystals can not take any copper.
When my sister started out with her first one she use her water from her well and she has copper pipes and a few days later all of the one she had added was die too.and also she had added PH UP.
Valid questions and info, but I'm positive that the Invert Queen knows all about the dangers of copper. ;)

starfishplus

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
in N.C
crs

Valid questions and info, but I'm positive that the Invert Queen knows all about the dangers of copper. ;)
SORRY that i even thought....about that i don't care how long u have been keeping fish or inverts...sometime people can make mistake..and it seems something went wrong.And i thought this post was for answers to others ??????

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
pvc piping, no worries. We all make mistakes! I still haven't figured it out, but all is seemingly well.

No chemicals used in my tanks at all. I have peat under the substrate and driftwood to lower ph and soften the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store