Max Tang stocking frustration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
I agree completely. I think you'd like the look of the Tret, though I also agree that they seem to do best in singles in a community tank. I have had to remove males because they are just too aggressive toward conspecifics, including Sexfasciatus twice their size. One Tret would virtually ignore your Comps, though, and would make a nice addition, as would the Sexfasciatus, which would grow to a bit larger size and is sometimes available in the blueish coloration most often seen in Trets.
The Cyps would look awesome and you'll be required to post pics when you get them!
Really appreciate your input Afro.... thanks man. That conspecific aggression never ceases to amaze me.

Pitt..... dude, thanks for the link to bluegrass. The more resources I have to get this stocking done the better. They are a bit pricey but as always, you get what you pay for (and DFS shipping is not cheap).

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
No prob, bro. I was surprised to see the Tret and Sexfasciatus going at it, but those Trets have got some attitude. Pittbull has several juvies in his larger tank, I'm interested to hear how they tolerate each other even in such large a tank.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
BTW, I think that you'd find Julidichromis sp. and Cylidrindicus suitable tankmates. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but I find a lot of good deals on ww.Aquabid.com, perhaps try there, or as PB has mentioned, I've heard good things about Blugrasscichlids as well.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Afro for the props buddy..

No problem Vader yeah Bluegrass is 45 mins. away from me and i have done business with Eddie before he has some nice fish and most of my Tangs are from him so i could vouch for his quality of fish with that in mind there is never a 100% guarantee on info when it comes to on-line ordering aye..

Afro wrote:
Pittbull has several juvies in his larger tank, I'm interested to hear how they tolerate each other even in such large a tank.
Yeah they are getting bigger now

Yeah my 120gal is wacked aye and what i have in there one would think it was lunacy heheehe but really the aggression is spread thru-out the tank 5 Trets, 4 Sexi's, 3 Cylindricus, 1 Buescheri, 1 Helianthus, 1 Telmatochromis Dhonti female, 7 Calvus, 3 Mustax, 3 Julido ornatus, 3 Julido Dickfieldi and 5 Lelupi hehehehe yeah each species in this tank focus on each others own group for EX lelupi's will chase each other the Julido's chase each other the Trets chase each other along with the Sexi's the Buescheri chases the Cylindricus and the calvus chase each other..

The only one who gets a free ride is the Dhonti female no one messes with her and she is the one that bites me when i stick my hand in the tank in her cave area she has big teeth hehehe..

Pretty messed up aye but really there is not just one target in this tank everyone gets a chasing from time to time and when its feeding time all exists happily til the food is gone and back to the territorial disputes..

Now for the folks out there that think my tank is overstocked well it is and i know it and what i may have to do eventually is remove some Trets and Sexi's maybe some Lelupi's as well but my tank is buzzing with action and color..

And i am not expecting fry to make it in this setup but i do have a ton of rocks in this tank..

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Not wise to mix Tret's or Sexfasciatus with Cyp's, julies, or any other similar-shaped fish. Sooner or later they'll become dinner for the growing Tret's (if the bicher doesn't get them first.)
Cyp's are also delicate fish when for shipping, best picked up in person or sent overnight at the very least.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
go to davesfish.com as well. they are based out of san antonio and have a LARGE variety of cichlids from the rift lakes. there shiping prices tend to be expensive but they are well worth it.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Not wise to mix Tret's or Sexfasciatus with Cyp's, julies, or any other similar-shaped fish. Sooner or later they'll become dinner for the growing Tret's (if the bicher doesn't get them first.)
Cyp's are also delicate fish when for shipping, best picked up in person or sent overnight at the very least.
Hi TnB, in my experience, it is the combo black bars on other fish along with the body shape that really set the Trets off. I have not seen any aggression between this fish ( the individual I now keep ), and any other fish in the tank. I have several juvie Brichardi running around this tank, the smallest being roughly 1/4", the largest pushing 1". They've never been chased by the Tret ( 3.5" ) or the Sexi ( 5-6" ). I also keep a school of Tiger Barbs, holding a spot for some Lepstosomas when I can get them, and they show no aggression toward these fish. Nor the Calvus.
I think keeping a single Tret, or single Sexfasciatus ( by far the more docile fish ), would be fine with other species, including Julies.
Trets max out at around 6", and that is probably rare. I have a female that is 2 years old. She's 3.5" and I don't expect much more growth out of her. Maybe another inch within the next few years. The Sexfasciatus has grown much faster, and tops out at 8", which is again probably a high estimate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store