Maybe an Oscar or Jack Dempsey..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm thinking very minimal decor given 75g is about the smallest recommended for a single oscar environment. I'd like a dark substrate that's fine, but not sand. Maybe some flat rocks and I'll float some wisteria and water sprite. Probably a stick/tape on background with some design. A non-glass heater a big Aquaclear HOB and the existing Aqueon 50 I have. Prolly going with an eBay 48" LED light.

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Thanks Kyle, yeah, I'm pretty certain I'm going with a new 75g from my LFS, then a metal stand and glass top from DFS. Tank, metal stand and glass top(s) would be ~$270 total. I've got my heart set on a single "O" for this 75g.
Why not build your own stand? You could make it totally custom with drawers or shelves or a cupboard. It would be a lot cheaper too.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Why not build your own stand? You could make it totally custom with drawers or shelves or a cupboard. It would be a lot cheaper too.
I hear you, but this could potentially open up a whole 'nother can of worms for me from my darling bride. "Well why can't you re-do this, paint that...." Pretty sure it wouldn't be a lot cheaper for me. LOL!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
That sounds so familiar...

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Not to throw a wrench in ur plans, but have you considered a Green Terror?
My dad had an Oscar, Terror, and Dempsy in a 150 gallon, and the GT was my favorite. Great personality and the most beautiful IMO.
With GTs the male will get the nuchal( spelling) hump as the mature. It may take a few years to fully develope.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
True, but this would take some serious lengths of hose to keep the water away from the house/foundation.

With just the 3 small tanks I have at the moment, the bucket toss isn't too big a deal over messing with and routing hoses.
Even if you did 100% water changes on your existing tanks, it is basically no different than what your septic would see from a single bath going into it. Adding another 55 or 75 tank for an Oscar, and I think those bucket water changes will soon take on a new dimension. I am not familiar with your foundation, but it is hard to imagine how the water would affect it when draining out a window.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
..I am not familiar with your foundation,
Man I hope not. :uhoh:

Kidding.

But yes. Routing a hose out the window, onto the lawn and somewhat away from the house would be fine. Just dangling it out the window (tank hose that is), not so much.

It's not that my septic couldn't handle it, it's just that my household of 6 taxes it enough.

Stingray- Thanks for the suggestion! I did some basic research on midas, trimac, flower horn and GT's. All really cool. I'm just waiting on the new 75g and gathering gear at this point. I've got to break down and move my 55g to the living room before I setup the 75 in it's place.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Here's the upcoming oscar tank setup with a monster AC110 and an established sponge powerhead. Just waiting on a heater. Light on order too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store