Mediterranean House Gecko

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
How can you tell? And is there a difference between between brown and green anoles?
Besides color, idk. But I can remember hearing greens are better, I lust can't remember wy.

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
Umm... I think the two are the same lizard. Green anoles change color like chameleons do... Except they only change between green and brown.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
Umm... I think the two are the same lizard. Green anoles change color like chameleons do... Except they only change between green and brown.
No, diff species. Green is the green anole, brown is the brown/Cuban enole.

And I'm pretty sure they don't change colors

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
I'm not sure, I was hoping some people could help me out with feeding advice. I was thinking either mealworms or crickets, but I'm a novice with anything not fish... So any advice would help.

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
No, diff species. Green is the green anole, brown is the brown/Cuban enole.

And I'm pretty sure they don't change colors
You are both partially correct. If you see an anole that's green, it's obviously probably a green anole (there are other green species, but probably not in FL), but if you see one that's brown, it could be either. They look very different, so it's not hard to tell if you know what they look like, but green anoles can in fact turn brown

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Around here we refer to those as "The Common Gecko" (House Gecko) "The Common Lizard" (Brown Anole) and "Hey neat, they arn't extinct yet!" (Green Anole) :rofl:

Not sure on the exact requirements for keeping House Gecko's, but from what I've seen of outside they seem to prefer dark quiet areas. Doubt temperature or lighting will be an issue. But they may not be all that interesting to keep since they don't really seem to like being in the open.

Also, with Anoles the way you tell males from females is you look for the throat fan. Males have a redish/orange fan on their throat that they display for various reasons.

Also also, Florida does now have Knight Anoles so not all of the green ones are Green Anoles. Not sure if they've spread out of South Florida though.

Last edited:

homedog98

AC Members
Jul 19, 2011
Ga
mytankbuilds1.webs.com
Real Name
Lauren
You are both partially correct. If you see an anole that's green, it's obviously probably a green anole (there are other green species, but probably not in FL), but if you see one that's brown, it could be either. They look very different, so it's not hard to tell if you know what they look like, but green anoles can in fact turn brown
oh, cool! That's great to know! Thanks!!!

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
Also also, Florida does now have Knight Anoles so not all of the green ones are Green Anoles. Not sure if they've spread out of South Florida though.
I wondered. Those were the first ones I thought of when I mentioned others being green. I thought I had heard about them being in FL, but I wasn't sure

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store