Mediterranean House Gecko

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I wondered. Those were the first ones I thought of when I mentioned others being green. I thought I had heard about them being in FL, but I wasn't sure
They were getting pretty common down here. The cold winter took care of a large portion of their population (as well as the Iguana population, although that is already rebounding fast). Considering that fact, they may not be common (or even exist) in the OP's area of Florida but figured I'd just toss the information in there just in case.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
ok so i want to tell you NOT to put lizards of different species together. its just not what you do in a small aquarium. they could eat eachother. plz keep only the house gecko in that tank.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
^ I agree. Keep it a one species tank.

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
What about two house geckos? I found another in my apartment so I could put it in with my other one.

Also, how could I make a cool paladarium setup? Since they're geckos, they can climb and like sticking to the sides of things... So as long as I have a tight fitting lid, could I do a swamp-type setup?

powellmacaque

AC Members
Feb 16, 2005
St. Petersburg, FL
Around here we refer to those as "The Common Gecko" (House Gecko) "The Common Lizard" (Brown Anole) and "Hey neat, they arn't extinct yet!" (Green Anole) :rofl:

Not sure on the exact requirements for keeping House Gecko's, but from what I've seen of outside they seem to prefer dark quiet areas. Doubt temperature or lighting will be an issue. But they may not be all that interesting to keep since they don't really seem to like being in the open.

Also, with Anoles the way you tell males from females is you look for the throat fan. Males have a redish/orange fan on their throat that they display for various reasons.

Also also, Florida does now have Knight Anoles so not all of the green ones are Green Anoles. Not sure if they've spread out of South Florida though.
Yea here (between St. Pete and Gainesville) Green Anoles are most prominent, followed by Fence Lizards, Brown Anoles, House Geckos, and then the blue tailed skinks.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
These guys aren't "swamp dwellers" and can actually get respiratory infections if kept too humid. If you want an animal that would be fine in the type of tank you suggested than there are a number of frog species that fit the bill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store