Molly despisers, unite!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brandorr

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
That's why lately I have been despising livebearers. There's not much profit to get from breeding them.
In the past, I have had pretty good luck breeding and selling fancy guppies, with unusual coloring patterns. It actually supported my aquarium hobby for a good number of years. (All filter supplies, food, etc. Plus a new 10-20g tank every month)

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
In the past, I have had pretty good luck breeding and selling fancy guppies, with unusual coloring patterns. It actually supported my aquarium hobby for a good number of years. (All filter supplies, food, etc. Plus a new 10-20g tank every month)
Now we're talking. I was hoping someone would pipe up about making money at this hobby.

Q

DarthPookie

AC Members
Jun 20, 2006
I have about 14 balloon molly fry right now, and the parents keep on doin it like they do on the discovery channel. I have my doubts about selling mollies too, however balloon mollies seem to be harder to find and do cost more at the LFS.
I am building a pond outdoors that will have a heater so I wonder if they might do well out there? Mollies seem to be pretty hardy in my experience. But they are so cute! Especially the fry.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Hmmm. I like livebearers for this very exact reason. I enjoy seeing bunches of little fry every week. In my 27g, there are 6 guppies and whenever they have little fry, I feed some to my goldies and puffer, and release the rest in my girlfriends 500g pond, where they grow big and strong, only to be eaten by a bird or raccoon.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
though platies are my favorite livebearers, ive had mollies and they were ok. lots of personality and the sails are so cool. seeing unexpected fry is just natural with livebearers. if you dont want the fry, just feed leave them in the tank with the adults.the fact that males need to be kept with females to prevent them from nipping at other fish is a bit annoying though.

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
I'm in the same boat as you... check the sig.

sponga

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
Ooohh lets see now

Got some black mollies and one of the females survived which to this day has breed twice.

First time with the black molly I got about 15 fry which are still alive today and growing.

Gold mollies have now given off about 16 fry and are starting to grow.

Than I think something weird happened and I am not sure if the black mollies crossbread with a gold mollie but they are still new, they are kindo of a grey color.
About 25 of them showed up sitting in a group together not being eaten by the mollies, tiger barbs or dwarf gourami.

I remember the first time I freaked out because they were being eaten, but now I am almost starting to think fish food and local fish store drop off.
Do fish stores give you credit for fry or maybe will trade you for other fish?

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
It depends on the store. Some will not take fish, others will. Some will give store credit. Rarely will a store give you money for your Mollys.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store